Making Camera Pick have a limited range?

Pastaspace

What I am trying to work is out code that allows the player to use objects, in this case by pressing the E key when their mouse is over a usable object.

Now this is done, the problem is the range. Using a pick, the camera will pick something regardless of its range to the player. So even if the button I use is fifteen miles away, it'll still activate it as long as the mouse is technically over it.

My question is, Leadwerks 2.5 allowed us to give the pick a distance (anything past that distance was ignored basically), how do I do this in 3.2?

tp_toPick.distance doesn't work. It always returns -1 regardless of distance.

Basic code is here, with the action code cut out.

if (window->KeyHit(Key::E))
{

if (camera->Pick(centerMouse.x, centerMouse.y, tp_toPick, 0, true) == 1)
{
//If things are a certain distance, perform the relevant action on the pick.
}
}

Try to use a World Pick it gives you a starting Vec3 point and an ending Vec3 point for your pick.

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/documentation/_/command-reference/world/worldpick-r502

If you need the camera pick for whatever reason I think you could also calculate the distance between your pick point and your pick start manually. Something like --

if pickstart:GetPosition():DistanceToPoint(pickend:GetPosition()) < maxdistance then etc.

pickstart, pickend and maxdistance are the changeable values.

You may have tried this before but referring back to my example above what if you made pickend equal to the pickinfo.position? That should get rid of the distance between entities problem and should instead give you the distance between your entity and your pick position. Or tp_toPick.position in your case.

It would look like

if self.entity:GetPosition():DistanceToPoint(pickinfo.position) < maxdistance then etc.