FPX imports and renders completely black

Michael_J

I had this happen to me yesterday. I exported an object from MAX via fbx and imported it into the editor--it was completely black regardless of the material I applied to it--definitely a lighting issue caused by invalid normals. Recalculating the normals corrected it, but also destroyed the geometry.

To fix this, I exported from MAX as an .obj, deleted the original object (after making a backup of course) and re-imported the obj. The obj format has been known to "clean" vertex errors that can develop in a MAX scene over time. When I exported the "clean" version of the object all was well.

Just posting this here in case anyone else ever encounters a similar issue...

--"There is no spoon"

"Recalculating the normals corrected it, but also destroyed the geometry." Yeah, it totally worked to correct the lighting, but the geometry was all over the place.

It's certainly not a bug with Le--simply some vertex oddness when exporting from MAX. I've seen it before, but never on an entire object. Completely recoverable though so I wanted to be sure to post the info...

--"There is no spoon"