*.tex Files Much Larger than Original *.jpg

Aaron Symons

Hello again guys!

I just placed a jpeg texture into my Leadwerks project for a terrain I’m wishing to test out, to which Leadwerks answered by automatically converting it, of course – sweet! However, the *.tex file is 262MB but the original is only 5.6MB.

In the game I’m currently developing, I wish to have many large maps for the player to explore. So, is there anything I could do to decrease the converted file size? The original is a 36 megapixel image (6000px X 6000px).

I suppose I’ll get a fair few comments, like: “What the... Why are you using such a large texture?” I agree, it’s very large, but I wanted to keep the finer details of the texture intact for close-ups. Plus, the jpeg image was very small, taking up less than 6MB of disk space – I had no idea it would take up nearly 47 times the disk space once converted!

I’ll do some experimenting with texture sizes and such. Once all the nature and shrubbery is in place I might be able to get away with much smaller texture sizes for my terrains. For now, I was just wondering if there’s a way to keep the resolution but at a much smaller file size once converted. I highly doubt it, but someone may have discovered some tricks. You never know! wink.png

Thanks all! smile.png

Win7 64-bit | Intel i7-3770 3.40GHz | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

They are converted to dds and mipmaps are added.

Hi Shadmar!

So, between the lines, I’ll have to decrease my texture sizes, right?

Are the *.dds files relatively larger? For example; I understand the OpenEXR equivalent of my texture would be between 250MB and 290MB, as it stores a lot more information than jpegs and the other “usual” formats. Is the *.dds format similar to this? Do the MipMaps add a lot of extra information to the file as well?

I’m just trying to understand the how’s and why’s. smile.png

On a different note: how does one add in line breaks with this commenting system? I’ve been using Microsoft Word to type up my answers and comments, and just copying and pasting into the text field. I’m sure there’s a way to do it, but I’ve not been bothered figuring out how yet. tongue.png

I’ve used all combinations of Shift, Control, Alt and Return, but none of those give me a line break, unless I've missed one!

Rock on boys!

Win7 64-bit | Intel i7-3770 3.40GHz | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660