Imported Models not matching (Blender Export)

WazMeister

Hi All,

Been having some real trouble getting modular models for level building exported into Leadwerks.  After reading a lot here, random sites, Blender guides and tinkering I managed to get models inside Leadwerks to nice size, good central pivot points and start building....... But now I'm getting issues with how Grid snap works with models (model not aligning with grid) and worse issues with models, even mirror like for like, not meeting intimately... i.e gaps or alignment is off regardless taking snap off and tweaking etc...

Hopefully images will help, please can anyone help?  I've read other posts ref setting Blender up to right grid and scales size, that I've done but any export models seem to have this issue! Very annoying stumbling block. Regardless settings, moving, flipping, ducking and diving.. I can not resolve and its put me to a stop of progressing further.....

Any helps will be massively great!

Below photos is best I can get it to align after hours of moving no grid size snap .. it should not be this difficult for such poor results, surely?

image.thumb.png.d46f985545688a842a5b03bfeef928f3.png

image.thumb.png.15c4623317d245ac9ba79b6ed5ada750.png

Dream since child of making games! From Game Programming Starter Kit 3.0, Blitz Basic, Map Creation since Duke 3D, Game Maker, Blitz3D (of recent..2023) and many other engines and years..... never really sticking to it with inner struggles that I've had to fight along with pushing to learn and acheive.

40 years old.. came across Leadwerks on Steam... Learning slowly but surely and loving it!

Learn with me or just watch me fail! at my random Youtube Channel, as I stream adhoc while learning and using LeadWerks and other game creating tools.

https://www.youtube.com/@wazmeister3151/featured

I'm very basic with blender, just got it to split up modular level parts, for leadwerks. Unsure how I'd change or correct any Normals, tex-coords and vertex positions tbh.

Tried attaching file here, if it does not work models I'm using can be found here - https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/street-a0a92282fda5464ab525b16fab8feaa3

street.zip

Dream since child of making games! From Game Programming Starter Kit 3.0, Blitz Basic, Map Creation since Duke 3D, Game Maker, Blitz3D (of recent..2023) and many other engines and years..... never really sticking to it with inner struggles that I've had to fight along with pushing to learn and acheive.

40 years old.. came across Leadwerks on Steam... Learning slowly but surely and loving it!

Learn with me or just watch me fail! at my random Youtube Channel, as I stream adhoc while learning and using LeadWerks and other game creating tools.

I can also see that all the origins for the tiles are different.  I'm not sure how your exporting but it might be the problem.  Make sure that each tile has the same origin (one of the corner perhaps) and then move that tile to the world origin before export as FBX.  That way the you can rotate the tiles in Leadwerks and they'll all rotate about the same point.

BlenderTiles.thumb.png.20832e290a90bef71db021849cedc7d6.png

Yea, I changed origin on them to be same.

I notice when I move them to GRID in Blender... they also do not align up again properly... how odd?!?! Not sure whats happening there.

I think I solved it, with your guidance to re-think... I think I solved it!! Going to test again and will report back.

Get ready for a fat, wet, sloppy KISS if this is resolved!  You BEAUTY!

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Yes, we fixed it.  Thanks.  Not sure what it was, but your suggesting of moving Origin gave me idea to try it on a corner rather than center.. and it worked.  Snaps perfect in leadworks and aligns like a glove!

Some of the meshes in blender were playing up.. but a bit of tweaking and fixed that too.

You are brilliant!  Thank you soooo much can finally move on to learn something else now (like creating a level! HA)

FIX.png

BlenderFix.png

• Like 1

Actually.. now to learn why Normals don't look good in leadwerks on new import meshes.  Seems to not give it the nice dent in curbs etc

Dam! Spoke too soon and got far too excited.

It all works perfectly.. but some odd reason when it comes to then attaching a corner and spinning on Y, it won't now snap or align on the height. (left/back) view.  God knows how I fix that now!

I did a Youtube Video, I think I got it down perfect.. For these particular meshes anyway.

Do have a look if you get a moment, hopefully I'm doing it the correct way / method.

Your defiantly on the right track but there are a few things I'd do differently.  First learning the keyboard shortcuts will improve your workflow ten fold and will reduce any errors by visual moving each tile into the correct position.

I'd make all your tiles the same sized square, rather than the street corner a square and the straight a rectangle.  That way the grid size in Leadwerks will be all the same for each piece.

After setting the origin to the cursor, if you click 'N' it'll show you the objects position in blender and you can set XYZ to 0.  The model's origin will go straight to the centre and I'd export from there.  Do that for each tile, I think FBX will export it's offset from the world origin and can stuff up tiling in Leadwerks. 

I wouldn't scale on export (that's probably just my preference though) I would scale the mesh in blender to the size I wanted, make sure the objects scale is applied in blender with Ctrl+A.  Sometimes odd scales can cause issues.

If you have consistent tile sizes and consistent export locations there shouldn't be any problem in Leadwerks.  At least not with geometry lining up. ;)