Setting Terrain Normals?

Rastar

Hi,

I'm new to the Leadwerks Engine and just settling in...

I generate my terrains using World Machine which can also output normal maps, principally at arbitrary resolutions (using tiled builds) Is it possible to import a normal map for the terrain, either via the editor or programmatically? Would it be possible to use a normal map at a higher resolution than the maximum 4096 to make the terrain appear more detailed?

Thanks,

Hauke

I do this using GROME just fine but I only use exported terrains as separate 3D meshes, not as a native terrain object.

I'm not sure if the base map of the terrain entity takes a normal map, but could probably be fudged to do so. Like all the other shaders thay are packed into SHADERS.PAK, unzip and tweak. It's something I should look into.

edit:

Looks like the normalmap is taken in on texture channel 14 (in terrain.frag) but no idea how you load that in the editor.

6600 2.4G / GTX 460 280.26 / 4GB Windows 7

Author: GROME Terrain Modeling for Unity, UDK, Ogre3D from PackT

Tricubic Studios Ltd. ~ Combat Helo

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, couldn't find a way set this in the editor, too. I tried to set it in the sbx file by specifying a filename for texture14, but that didn't seem to have an effect. Maybe there is a naming convention or something, or you simply can't do that?