Heat Shimmer

chik

Hello

Thank you for allowing me to post here.

I have absolutely no experience in creating textures. My question is, would anyone be interested in creating a believable heat shimmer for microsoft flight simulator X, (FSX)? I do know the ins and outs of FSX quite well and am more than willing to assist. There are a few so called Heat haze or shimmer effects but they just aren't realistic.

Thanks for taking a look---------chik

Hello chik,

Try having a look at these tutorials on refraction and heat hazes on the wiki here -

http://www.leadwerks.com/files/Tutorials/CPP/Transparency_And_Refraction.pdf

http://www.leadwerks.com/files/Tutorials/CPP/Heat_Haze.pdf

Hopefully this helps.

Win7 64bit, Leadwerks SDK 2.5, Visual Studio 2012, 3DWS, 3ds Max, Photoshop CS5.

Life is too short to remove USB safely.

Thank you very much for the reply. I will look more closely but on initial review I do think that it looks far beyond anything I am capable of mastering. I nevertheless will study it some.

thanks very much again----------chik

My goodness, this is much more than I will ever be capable of mastering. To use the punn, This is "simply" beyond anything I could ever understand.

I hope I don't come across as a dork and I apologize for asking for something that I cannot give back although money is not out of the question. If there is anyone who is interested helping me I would seriously consider payment.

To explain a little more about what I would like to have. The heat haze as described in the tutorial is exactly what I am looking for. It has the correct texture and glossy look although making it just a little "dirtier" would be perfect. I then need to make it into a ".fx" file to be used in FSX. I do know to adjust the perameters once in the game as far as diameter, length, noise, etc.

Thank you very much so far----------chik

You should ask someone in a Flight Simulator X forum. This forum is for Leadwerks Engine, which has absolutely nothing to do with FSX. Also the pdf's DigitalHax posted are for Leadwerks Engine...

(Win7 64bit) && (i7 3770K @ 3,5ghz) && (16gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz) && (Geforce660TI)