Very jerky movement at high framerates

Niosop

I'm not sure when this started happening. Whenever I move around in the editor using WSAD, the movement is VERY jerky. It seems like it's moving forward X amount then back X/3 the next frame. I tried to get a video of it, but FRAPS decreased the framerate to about 30 at which time the jerkiness disappears. If I turn on vsync it goes away. Becomes very noticeable at 100 FPS and the higher the FPS is the worse it gets. Adjusting the movement speed or smoothing doesn't help any. It doesn't happen when using the scroll wheel to zoom in or out, only when using the keyboard to move forward/backward or pan. It does NOT affect game mode at all, regardless of framerate, only movement in edit mode.

Anyone else affected by this or have suggestions?

Windows 7 x64 - Q6700 @ 2.66GHz - 4GB RAM - 8800 GTX

ZBrush - Blender

This is just a complete hunch, but if you're using KeyHit() / KeyDown maybe the keyboard isn't being polled quick enough. What I mean to say is, KeyHit() captures the key that was hit and then resets afterward. So at a speed of 100FPS, you might be finding that some frames turn up an empty KeyHit() because it hasn't polled the keyboard yet.

Programmer, Modeller

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.5GHz | GeForce 480 GTX | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 7 Premium x64

Visual Studio 2008 | Photoshop CS3 | Maya 2009

Well, I'm not actually using anything <_< I'm just trying to edit a scene. But I doubt it's that because it's actually moving backwards every other frame or something. If I have an oildrum or something in the scene and try and move around, I'll see two of them, both somewhat translucent as if it's drawing it one frame, then the camera is jerked backwards for the next frame, then forwards a little more than the initial frame, etc.

ZBrush - Blender

Well, I'm not actually using anything :) I'm just trying to edit a scene. But I doubt it's that because it's actually moving backwards every other frame or something. If I have an oildrum or something in the scene and try and move around, I'll see two of them, both somewhat translucent as if it's drawing it one frame, then the camera is jerked backwards for the next frame, then forwards a little more than the initial frame, etc.

How complicated a scene Niosop? am trying to recreate your problem but can't, not sure if I have enough "stuff" in it :)

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

I've seen similar behavior after trying to save with ctrl+S. When hitting S again and immediately releasing it (or ctrl, can't remember) the editor started working again properly. In that case, the problem probably has to do with keyup() not being registered. But if it only occurs at framerates > 100... Run the editor in 1920x1080, turn on all posteffects and jam more stuff into your scene :)

desktop: Quad core Q6600 + 4GB + ATI HD4890 + XP

laptop: Dual core T6400 + 4 GB + NVidia 9600M GT + Vista 32

I've seen similar behavior after trying to save with ctrl+S. When hitting S again and immediately releasing it (or ctrl, can't remember) the editor started working again properly. In that case, the problem probably has to do with keyup() not being registered. But if it only occurs at framerates > 100... Run the editor in 1920x1080, turn on all posteffects and jam more stuff into your scene :)

1280 x 1024 is my max resolution. but even with all post FX (which I had on already), keeping the frame rates above 100 .. with a lot of stuff already I can't replicate the issue.

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

How complicated a scene Niosop? am trying to recreate your problem but can't, not sure if I have enough "stuff" in it :)

It does it with a totally empty scene. I can just throw in an oildrum for reference and it'll do it. Only thing I haven't tried is restarting my computer (which should have been the first thing I tried), should be able to reboot first thing tomorrow.

ZBrush - Blender

It does it with a totally empty scene. I can just throw in an oildrum for reference

it will take some work but I think I can manage to emulate that scene :) trying it now..

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Well, if you don't see it when you have >100 FPS, then it's probably isolated to just me. I was seeing it in all the included maps (when I was in a position to get >100 FPS) and in ones I built myself.

It's not a big deal, I can just turn on vsync and the problem goes away, just curious if anyone else was seeing it.

ZBrush - Blender

Well, if you don't see it when you have >100 FPS, then it's probably isolated to just me. I was seeing it in all the included maps (when I was in a position to get >100 FPS) and in ones I built myself.

It's not a big deal, I can just turn on vsync and the problem goes away, just curious if anyone else was seeing it.

Nope sorry m8, I don't get the problem, thats not to say I wont, but have not yet managed to.

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

This is the same problem I am getting, which is casing the animation issues in Weaponwerks.

52t__nvidia.png nVidia 530M cpu.gif Intel Core i7 - 2.3Ghz 114229_30245_16_hardware_memory_ram_icon.png 8GB DDR3 RAM Windows7_Start.gif Windows 7 Ultimate (64x)

-----

IconVisualStudio16.png Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate google-Chrome.png Google Chrome PhotoshopLinkIndicator.png Creative Suite 5 icon28.gif FL Studio 10 MicrosoftOfficeLive.png Office 15

-----

csharp.png Expert cpp.png Professional lua_icon.png Expert BMX Programmer

-----

i-windows-live-messenger-2009.pngskype-icon16.pngaim_online.pnggmail.pngicon_48x48_prism-facebook.pngtunein-web.pngyahoo.giftwitter16.png

Doesn't matter, any resolution, any options on/off as long as they don't cause the framerate to drop below 80 or so. At that point it still happens, but it's not really noticeable. At around 60 you don't notice it at all. And only in the editor in edit mode for me. If I go into game mode inside the editor, it goes away even at high FPS.

ZBrush - Blender

I still get it in game mode, it affects anything to do with AppTime or AppSpeed or intense physics, i.e. animation.

52t__nvidia.png nVidia 530M cpu.gif Intel Core i7 - 2.3Ghz 114229_30245_16_hardware_memory_ram_icon.png 8GB DDR3 RAM Windows7_Start.gif Windows 7 Ultimate (64x)

-----

IconVisualStudio16.png Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate google-Chrome.png Google Chrome PhotoshopLinkIndicator.png Creative Suite 5 icon28.gif FL Studio 10 MicrosoftOfficeLive.png Office 15

-----

-----

i-windows-live-messenger-2009.pngskype-icon16.pngaim_online.pnggmail.pngicon_48x48_prism-facebook.pngtunein-web.pngyahoo.giftwitter16.png

This would lead me to believe that over time Leadwerks Editor is like clogging your VRAM or something that gets cleared on a restart or shutdown?

This has existed since the first version of Sandbox, atleast for me, so that makes the most sense.

-----

-----

-----