Setting up Customizable Charterer?

scotty0351

So my character assets are outdated and I’m going to have them redone but before I have this done I would like to know the best way to set them up for customization.

Changing Tunic Texture

The current mesh is mult/sub-object and the tunic texture is on a completely different map sheet so does this allow the tunic to be changed in game by the player easily or did I set this up wrong?

Changing Helmets

Each helmet is a separate mesh with its own map sheet. I figured this could be rigged in a certain way so the mesh could be changed out in game. Is this the right way?

Changing Shield Texture

Same as the helmet different mesh different map sheet.

Changing Face

These will be set up like the helmets being a different mesh and separate map channel.

So if I wanted a customizable selection area in a game how would I import the assets and could it be programmed with the model being a mult/sub-object and just having one of the map sheets be switched out. And as far as rigging goes would I give each helmet and shield a separate bone which could be changed in the customization screen in game.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a topic around here somewhere that is setup for LOD (with equipment) so that when you walk further away from the character his equipment become hidden. you also can do that for your game / idea but in some other way.

Make a script using the same kind of setup, change several values so instead of LOD it are models / textures. when you push some GUI button or another value or action. instead of the LOD you can specify a button to it. so when clicking that, the texture or model changes.

or setup several other characters, but attach other textures to them, so they all look different.

I hope this helped for you.