Animated texture?

DigitalHax

Hey,

I want to use a corona to draw a texture in 3d. But I want to have it to spin. I am not sure how I should do this, but I know you can have animated sprites. Now I dont know much about image editing, but I think this is the only way. So how can I make an animated sprite?

Win7 64bit, Leadwerks SDK 2.5, Visual Studio 2012, 3DWS, 3ds Max, Photoshop CS5.

Life is too short to remove USB safely.

You can either simply paint a series of textures on to a suitable plane as I have done in the past (very fast) or you could use a shader to do so (never tried but I think someone, possibly Aily, produced one in the past).

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

You change the texture continuously... that's animated. 2D animation is just a series of 2D images one after the other. So what Pixel said is just that. There is no single animated image file.

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

correct, well kind of, you can sequence lots of separate image files but most people store a series of images in a single file for convenience ... see this animated sprites link: animated sprites

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

I am not sure how I should do this, but I know you can have animated sprites. Now I dont know much about image editing, but I think this is the only way. So how can I make an animated sprite?

If you'd like, I can make one for you? smile.png?

But I want to have it to spin.

In what way would you like it to spin?

Like, rotating around it's own center?

I'm creating all kinds of animated spritesheets, so if needed, I could make a pack with only animated lensflares. smile.png

ZBrush 4R7 64-bit - 3DCoat 4.5 BETA 12 - Fl Studio 12 64Bit - LE 3.2 Indie version - Truespace 7 - Blender 2.71 - iClone 5.51 Pro - iClone 3DXChange 5.51 pipeline - Kontakt 5 - Bryce 7 - UU3D Pro - Substance Designer/Painter - Shadermap 3 - PaintShop Photo Pro X7 - Hexagon - Audacity - Gimp 2.8 - Vue 2015 - Reaktor 5 - Guitar Rig 5 - Bitmap2Material 3

Well I was thinking of having a cool crosshair that spins from the center.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but here's a rotating crosshair. smile.png

Crosshair0000.png

ZBrush 4R7 64-bit - 3DCoat 4.5 BETA 12 - Fl Studio 12 64Bit - LE 3.2 Indie version - Truespace 7 - Blender 2.71 - iClone 5.51 Pro - iClone 3DXChange 5.51 pipeline - Kontakt 5 - Bryce 7 - UU3D Pro - Substance Designer/Painter - Shadermap 3 - PaintShop Photo Pro X7 - Hexagon - Audacity - Gimp 2.8 - Vue 2015 - Reaktor 5 - Guitar Rig 5 - Bitmap2Material 3

Well you can animate a texture in two different ways:

1) All your animation frames stored in a single texture. That means you create a plane, use PaintEntity() to texture that plane with your texture and write a shader that changes the UV coordinates of your plane every now and then, so it only displays a single frame of your animation.

2) All your animation frames stored as seperate textures. Also make a plane and use PaintEntity() to texture it with the first animation frame. After a certain time you call PaintEntity() again, but this time you load the next frame of your animation. That goes on until your animation is finished.

From what i read, the second approach seems to be much faster.

Edit:

The spinning crosshair could be done using a plane with a crosshair texture and alphablending. All you need to do is to rotate the plane slowly over time. That way there would be no need for multiple textures and it would be faster and less memory consuming.

• Upvote 1

(Win7 64bit) && (i7 3770K @ 3,5ghz) && (16gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz) && (Geforce660TI)

• 3 weeks later...