Trouble importing skinned meshes - Arbuz & FBX2GMF

Raz

Hi guys,

I've got a couple of problems with getting functional .gmf meshes in-game.

I'm using 3DS Max with the Arbuz exporter. Whenever I export a skinned mesh, it ends up corrupted (see attachment). I've tried at least a dozen different combinations of checkboxes and scene setup, but it just doesn't work when exporting skins. However, when I untick the skins checkbox, they turn out just fine.

The same happens when taking a skinned fbx file through the fbx2gmf exporter.

Anybody have similar experiences, or know what the problem might be?

Thanks.

post-2240-0-00589500-1310571919_thumb.png

Yeah that's the biggest problem for me right now, getting functional animated models to GMF.. Here are some things you can check from the top of my head:

- exporter supports only skin and not physique (and no morphing)

- select ONLY the skinned object and not the bones (while using the export selected option)

- make sure skin is the topmost modifier

- if you're in editable mesh put edit poly modifier on top (and below skin)

- you must have a proper material to view the skinned model correctly (in your .mat files you must use a shader that has '_skin' in it)

- try to reset your transforms

- sometimes you can't see nothing in modelviewer or maybe just the hierarchy but no mesh, because of the big scale, but if you scale it down in game it works fine

- when exporting to .fbx use version 2010 binary and turn off curve filters, resample, etc, but leave animation and skins on...

- always import the exported .fbx back into max, to check if the files has been properly exported and sometimes you'll be able to figure out what's causing the problem this way

Hope some of this helps, but first i'd try exporting with just the mesh selected and checked your .mat files to use skin shaders (judging from your pic)

Thanks a lot. Just after I posted this, I figured out that exporting only a single selected (skinned) object will cause the faces to have the proper normals (not inverted). Specifying the correct material apparently fixes the issue with the colorization.

I'll try to use your advice with the FBX exporter!