Debugging Leadwerks with C#

Raz

Hey there!

There's someting interesting I noticed just now. If you try to debug an application made with C# and Leadwerks.Net, no output (Loading File, File not found, etc.) from Leadwerks is shown in the console. However, if you run the application from outside Visual Studio, the output shows in the console.

As this is debug output, I'm wondering if there's a way to get it to show somewhere while debugging as well..

Greets,

Philipp

Currently I have not bee able to ascertain the reason behind this. I believe it relates to the console commands (possible Win32) that are intercepted by Visual Studio; commands are executed from an 'unsafe' non-CLR library.

(I could be totally incorrect, just a guess)

You have the option to traverse the file generated by the Leadwerks code, as it is appended and write that to the console manually. Although, I wouldn't recommend that.

There is another solution!

Within the DLL.cs file you need to change this:

internal static class Dll
{
	private const string ReleasePath = "engine.dll";
	private const string DebugPath = "engine.debug.dll";
	private const string Path = DebugPath  //CHANGE TO DEBUG //ReleasePath;

Only downside is that you will need to recompile the C# project library yourself.

I will update the library to allow for process-bound debugging.

Thanks, man!

As I'm recompiling the DLL myself anyway (need to add a lot of stuff that's been not implemented previously) that's a great addition!

[EDIT]

Hm, unfortunately that doesn't seem to make any difference except for scene loading being a lot slower. Still no output either in VS or in the console.