how to render glass & transparency

deniz

Hi everyone,

I want to do the following:

define a quad with custom commands (using le-commands like createmesh, createsurface, addvetrex, addtriangle etc)

I want this quad to look like a glass..

I have to be able to set its alpha value (its transparency) dynamically during run-time

How can I do this?

I have already looked in the traqnsparency tutorial.

I do not want to render refractions, a refraction shader is overkill in my case, since the glass is very thin (windshield of a car)

(the material files are not existing anyway, which was a serious disappointment for me by the way).

I just need to draw the glass.

and later I want to apply a normal map to the glass surface.

Hi everyone,

I want to do the following:

define a quad with custom commands (using le-commands like createmesh, createsurface, addvetrex, addtriangle etc)

I want this quad to look like a glass..

I have to be able to set its alpha value (its transparency) dynamically during run-time

How can I do this?

I have already looked in the traqnsparency tutorial.

I do not want to render refractions, a refraction shader is overkill in my case, since the glass is very thin (windshield of a car)

(the material files are not existing anyway, which was a serious disappointment for me by the way).

I just need to draw the glass.

and later I want to apply a normal map to the glass surface.

You need to assign material with blend=alpha, and then control it color by EntityColor mesh,vec4(1,1,1,alpha), and render transparent meshes in second pass after lighting.

If you don't want to use refractions, why you need normalmap then? For cubemap reflections?

"Better" is big enemy of "good"

You need to assign material with blend=alpha, and then control it color by EntityColor mesh,vec4(1,1,1,alpha), and render transparent meshes in second pass after lighting.

If you don't want to use refractions, why you need normalmap then? For cubemap reflections?

thanks for you answer Aily,

I will try what you said as soon as possible

quickly one more question before I explain the need for normal map:

I guess if I define a diffuse texture with varying A-value, I can get a varying opacity over the surface, right?

I want to use the normal map to make the glass look bumpy for simulating the appearance of rain drops & parftially accumulated snow surface (snow will be partially transparent)

to see what I mean with "partially transparent", please refer to my video below where snow is accumulating little by little over the stanford bunny.

I want to replace the bunny with a transparent thin glass and do this in LE of course (not in OpenGL):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiuNFLUAOms