Building Instant Replay System

Herbert Filby

I'm building a FPS in C++, and I'm trying to record player movement for Instant Replay later. I was in the process of working through the tutorials and forum posts when everything went down so I'm a bit lost.

I have the character controller working, I just need to figure out the best way to save a lot of data to get an instant replay file that is small but accurate. Any suggestions/examples I could refer back to?

Then once I figure that part out, here is where I am running into trouble for Leadwerks:

I have a NPC figure I will use for the replay with Idle/Walk animations that I can load using C++ ok, but I don't know how to make it move. The only help I could find was for a third person camera that uses a character controller... Are there any good tutorials available for writing code in C++ or LUA for NPC models?

I highly recommend getting "Game Coding Complete (Third Edition)". It walks you through creating a tried and true client-server architecture that supports instant replay by routing all game events (move, rotate, fire for example) through a central event manager. It allows you to write all these events to file and replay the game simply by pushing the events from file back into the event manager.

DirectX is used as the graphics library so it does require some minor modification building it around Leadwerks but that is no big deal.