Audio sync problem with FRAPS

Pixel Perfect

I can't get audio to sync properly using FRAPS, it progressively gets further out of sync the longer I record(the audio actually leads the video). I can see this is a common problem by looking on the net and have tried re-installing my sound drivers and ensuring the sound card is set to 16 bit 44.1Khz sampling rate which were the two suggestions that seems to have worked for some people, but not in my case!

CamStudio syncs fine but is a little too slow for recording in game action. I downloaded and tried GunCam last night and that works ok but the video quality is no-where near the quality of Fraps.

Does anyone else have any suggestions/experience of this or can anyone suggest a good alternative ... thanks!

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Try updating your Sound Card to SoundBlaster Live! or better, and/or set the hardware acceleration to the 2nd option (not software, but most basic hardware acceleration). In Vista there was a problem using highest hardware acceleration with embedded sound cards, but with the 2nd option it worked fine. Using a real Sound Card also fixes the problem.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

There is no hardware acceleration setting in Windows 7 so I guess I'll have to try fitting a sound card. I can try the Sound Blaster Live from my older PC. Otherwise I might have to just try resyncing the audio using VirtualDub or some similar util.

Are there no other comparable Video Capture apps out there?

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

The only time I had any problems using fraps was when the video couldn't be compressed quicklyenough. Turning down the game's settings saw fraps recording drop down to just 2% CPU utilisation, and perfectly sync'd with the audio. Admittedly though, this wasn't with Windows 7, so it may be of no relevance at all...

LE Version: 2.50 (Eventually)

Getting my SB Live 5.1 card to run under Win 7 is proving a nightmare. Five drivers later and only partial success. I guess it's shell out for a new up to date card on the off chance Fraps may work or try the re-sync technique and see how practical that is, after all I don't use Fraps very often.

The fact that the other two apps I've tried record perfectly well, so be it with lesser overall quality, and the fact that I'm only trying to capture 640X480 at 30fps makes me think that lack of available CPU power is not the factor here. There seems to be sufficient evidence on the net to suggest Fraps does suffer from hardware compatability issues.

and there was me thinking putting this latest vid together would be a two hour affair ... :P

Never did get the SB card to work so I've reverted back to my on-board sound that works perfectly with everything except Fraps it would appear! However, the Virual Dub re-syncing of the video and audio works a treat. So, concidering I rarely need to use Fraps, I'll just live with that solution for now. One day maybe the Fraps people will get round to fixing it so it syncs correctly like all the other video capture apps I've tried.

Time to make that video :)

I find its windows media play that messes up the syncing with large fraps videos. If I play with any other media player it works fine.

BMax 1.38 * Leadwerks 2.4 * Unity 3.0 Pro * Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 - Win7 64bit - ATI 4870

I wish it was just that, have tried it in many players including FLV but the audio is definitely out of sync. Once it's re-synced it plays perfectly in all players. Anyway ... its not a big issue now and as soon as I find another app whose video output is as good as Fraps then I'll drop Fraps like a hot potato because every other app I've tried manages to sync the audio fine!

Decided to stick with Fraps as nothing else I've tried quite matches the video capture quality. Virtual Dub is a brilliant tool and allows me to resync the audio perfectly over any length of video by allowing me to view the audio and match audio markers to the video. One simple calculation later and I can resync the entire video perfectly .. cool!