Laser beam

Joh

I am facing a little problem, i have done some test but i have no other idea now..

I need to create a laser beam like this one:

http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=90&catid=6&PageNo=2

I tested with 4 planes and a texture with an alpha blending and bloom, the result is nice but only when the plane aren't facing the camera, obviously when it come directly in your face you will see the plane issue (no deep on plain).

I tested with mesh too, but i am unable to do it looks as i want..

Any suggestions guy?

Intel Corei7-6700, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980, 32GB DDR4, W-10.

This can be a nice effect, but i assume there still the same problem when the laser face the camera.. The only way to "fix" this problem is to fully fill the deep.

Tested:

Effect good, but i am pretty sure with some work it can be awesome.

Speed, well i am happy with it but anyway check your self : 10000 lines per loop and no any fps lost on my actual gameplay.

Now i know i can't insert my self during the render, so is there a way to keep in consideration other models?

I mean obviously drawing the line as last they will ever stay on front of models, because they are not included on leadwerks render.

You need to disable all post-processing effects to make the 3D lines work correctly in 3D.

mmm This is bad.. Almost any things on leadwerks work with post-processing, doing this i lose too many.

Josh said he will be making Framework more flexible by providing seperate functions for rendering geometry, rendering lights, rendering post-effects, etc...

Then you can insert you 3D OpenGL lines before the post-effects function call.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Josh said he will be making Framework more flexible by providing seperate functions for rendering geometry, rendering lights, rendereing post-effects, etc...

Then you can insert you 3D OpenGL lines before the post-effects function call.

If he does it on leadwerks 3.0, it will be unusefull for me.

Also my publisher need to test the game on October, and the release date is on first of december, i know it's enough time, but if he manage to do it later on i'll need to research more.

@Joh:

When you need BEAM type sprite, best way is write "Axis Aligned Billboard" i have this code writed in Pascal, BMX and for Java, when you want I send you my code, or from this link AAB is in C++.

EDIT:

Why wait, when you need it, here are my codes: Axis Aligned Billboard (Pascal, Bmx, Java ))

• Upvote 1

[HW] C2D Q6600, 4GB RAM, NV8800GTX, Vista Ultimate x64

[sW] Blide Plus, BlitzMax, Delphi, C++, 3DWS 5.53, Leadwerks 2.xx

76561197970156808.pngAndyGFX.png

Hi, sorry guys i am was on holiday :) (thinking on it i am always on holiday in week-end..)

Joh,

So what approach did you decide on for your lasers?

Well for the moment my approach is 4 planes bloomed with a different rotation angle when is aiming the player so you will always be able to see it, but this is only a placeholder.

When you need BEAM type sprite, best way is write "Axis Aligned Billboard"

That's seem good enough, i haven't think about it, so practically you would use different 4-3 different image aligned in different axis? Quite nice idea!

Unfortunately i still haven't found a 2d artist for my project and i have such problem like that some time ;)

Thanks guys, i'll try this.