Questions

wizzy886

hi im a newbie to all of this scripting and modelling stuff but im thinking of getting Leadwerks and a modelling software. Do you think i could learn how to make a simple game like below:

(i want to make a game with skills)

•able to chop a tree and gain xp, mine rocks, cook food, and hunt things.

•to be able to have your own house.

•to have high scores on my website.

is this possible for me to learn?

Sure you can learn it, and you should start with drawing a diagram how the player interacts with those things, and what kind of values they can have.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Hi wizzy and welcome to the forum.

Although it is certainly possible to do that, you will need some programming skills. It is certainly possible to learn it. Try going over all the tutorials first. When you ahve finished them you have a better idea of how stuff works. Also there are several community resources available.

First you need learn the basics of programming. You need to choose a language which is easy to learn, and also powerful enough to make things easier for you when things get more complex.

Naturally, Lua would be good language to learn, because it's like BASIC, and you can write most of the game with it. Also other games often support Lua, like World of Warcraft, to make custom scripts in the game.

The other important language to learn is C++, which is in my opinion often easier than Lua.

You can download it for free here:

http://www.microsoft.com/express/Downloads/#2010-Visual-CPP

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Sounds like you're planning to make some sort of RPG, this is of course possible to learn.

However, I'd suggest you start off with something easier. Having an MMO/RPG as your first Project is quite a bit to much. And there'll be A LOT of coding needed to be done.

But anyhow, welcome to the Forums and I wish you the best of luck! :)

Currently learning the basics of the Leadwerks Editor.

lol well i tend to make a living out of making games in my later life so lol ill have to learn lmao

It's nice that you've decided what to do later on, but learning a Scripting Language is hard, I tried and failed. So I went on to 3D Modeling instead. Learning how to Program can take several years to accomplish, but you're only 15 so you've got plenty of time to learn!

Also, anything is possible in the Gaming Industry. All you need is the knowledge how to accomplish it. :)

Currently learning the basics of the Leadwerks Editor.

I agree with that. I have been using Leadwerks for 9 months now and you will get better at stuff over the months. However learning good a language like C++, besides game programming is pretty important. I find myself stuck all the time because I have no idea how to implement my own ideas. This can be extremely frustrating. So spending sometime learning proper programming is really recommended.

There are a lot of tutorial on the web on c++, some are really easy to use.

If your main objective is to become a programmer so i really suggest to start from there, if you only wanna design and create your own game on Leadwerks, you don't need to study a lot as Leadwerks use is own command.

Anyway in both cases you always need the base of programming.

Intel Corei7-6700, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980, 32GB DDR4, W-10.

i had a quick read of the c++ tut on this website and i get all the first bit with the automatic project making bit but at the end it says this:

Your project is now ready to build. Press F5 to compile and run. A window will open, and you will see a spinning cube with a parallax mapped material applied to it

what the hell? is my game just a cube???

What?

Wich tutorial you followed?

Those are little tutorial to let you program simply things.

There isn't a tutorial wich allow you to create an entire game..

It show you how to create a simply cube, apply a material and rotate a mesh.

Never heard about "hello world"? Those are the "basic" of the engine, if you don't know how to manage it you won't be able to do anything!