CSG brushes vs MDL files

flaredsneeze

I've read in another post where Josh says that Brushes are not objects they are volumes? I'm not quite sure what that means but would like to know.

Do brushes render out faster than mdl files? I would assume that they would be slower do to the fact that you can't delete out unseen faces. However, csg has the one advantage over an mdl that lead me to this post to start with, and that is because csg uses procedural texturing. If you model an entire building in a modeling program and texture it with a texture as big as 4096 x 4096 you'll still never have the same resolution as procedural texturing unless you are creating your models to be modular.

I was thinking of creating a modular building set but then it comes down to a question about individual objects. Some editors have a limit on how many objects can be added to a scene. Does Leadwerks have an object or vertex cap?

Personally I would go with CSG. So far it has been awesome, allowing me to make a variety of geometry. My understanding is that CSG is much faster than rendering a model because they are much simpler shapes, but I suppose that will really depend on what you're making with it. It also seems to be the recommended way to construct maps, based on the fact that it's recommended in the tutorials (which are fantastic, I hadn't realized how powerful CSG was until I read through all of that).

As far as your project goes, a set of prefabs containing CSG brushes would be awesome for a modular building construction set -- so easy to customize, unlike models. I would buy it.