Buoyancy physics simulation?

SavageDogg38

I have a character for my game - a playable character - that's a child carrying a balloon about that has buoyancy to it. Although I haven't tried to animate such an effect, I know that any such attempt would be futile: there are just far too many variations of behavior for such an object.

I considered scraping it but it is an important factor to the game play; as the character evolves, he is able to use the balloon to glide further and uncovering more areas and is able to be lifted off to new areas and levels. He is able to use the balloon to maneuver about an enemy giving him an advantage over much larger and more powerful foes. Plus, it is a huge part of the story.

I thinking the best way to go about it is to script the behavior but I'm not a coder so much as I'm an artist. The limit of my ability to code is 6502 assembly. Any suggestions? Is there an effect like this already in the game engine? Any likelihood of this being a part of the engine if it is not already?

So far, I was able to find the following although it looks like greek to me:

http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/55152/calculating-buoyancy-force

and this:

https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/m/8/2/5/2/8/7406-buoyancyarticle.pdf

I probably could script the accurate physics but rather than taking up so much resources for such a simulation, especially since it is a constant throughout the game, I would instead like to fake as much as possible. Not sure how possible that it.

Anyways, has anybody else explored this phenomena in Leadwerks?

Running on:

Microsoft 8 64-bit

10 gigs RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTX 660

I don't have the standard version - yet - but I'm saving up for it and I hope to have it soon. By then, I should have the character model finished and animated so it may work out in that regard

I will look into that option when I get it, and I also plan to regularly post updates on my progress. . Thanks!

Running on:

Microsoft 8 64-bit

10 gigs RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTX 660