Having Trouble Coming to terms with the editor

Dan22

Hello, I have been using source sdk for around 2 years prior to purchasing the leadwerks engine and it was very easy to search youtube or search the engines wiki to search for answers and clues. I wanted to make a game with this engine as source sdk is quite dated (Limits with map and unable to do some things that leadwerks has to offer) However looking at tutorials leadwerks has to offer, they only really show the basics of level designing, like source sdk and leadwerks as an editor is very similar so I had no problems with making simple levels but thats all I can do at the moment as there are not many in depth tutorials. I've had leadwerks since the steam release and I still can't find anything. What I'm asking is if an official or atleast a knowledgeful developer who has some experience could branch out to the new version of leadwerks (As all I can find is leadwerks 2 tutorials that are in detail)

I would like something of this detail:

I have other friends who have moved from source sdk over to this engine but we would like more resources.

If I have missed any advanced tutorials please post them here and my apologies if I have done so.

What style tutorials do you need ?

Game art ? what part ? textures/models import ?

Coding ? and what part ? AI, movement, interactive objects ?

For the coding part : camera, movement, AI, interaction : begin small, learn from all examples you can find (LE3 FPS code and examples , Darkness game demo , all video tutorials from Agrror, all Tutorials from Rick or it's game tutorial also , dig and understand that code and you should be able to make your own gameplay code.

Some suggestion :

Code small prototype examples, using physics, navigation etc ... and you'll have your code base to create any game style you want.

LE3 engine provides you like some others mainly all you need to make your own game style.

Stop toying and make games

There is a demo in lua called darkness awaits which some have found usefull. It has recently been updated for le 3.1.

I don;t know its location but maybe smeone can help.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

@Dan22 :

I highly recommend you Rick tutorial game that have lot of super gameplay code tips :

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/files/file/492-bombkiller/

For GUI, LE3 don't have one, and you'll struggle like a nightmare if you plan to do it yourself laugh.png

Solution :

1) simple menu : 3D clickable boxes with images for menus

2) advanced and complete menu system : NeosisGuy for LE3 http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/7969-noesisgui/

Yeah, may have to go the free way, idk I have a coder with me but anyway, I have another question. Is there a way of using decals? E.g placing a texture ontop of a brush like a blood splatter ect? And if so how do I use this?

-Thanks

Oh, Alright I know alternative methods. But I have a problem if anyone knows lua, I need the change level script to be activate when pressing spacebar but I do not know how to do so with this script:

Script.mapFile = ""--path "Map File" "Map file:map"

function Script:Start()

end

function Script:NextLevel()--in

if self.mapFile ~= "" then

App.world = World:Create()

Map:Load(self.mapFile)

end

end

Search for how to detect key pressed (for example FPSplayer.lua) , and map change code than combine them two.

All you need is here :

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/8103-gameplay-tutorial-requests-here/

Some help in pseudo code :

1) In App.lua dd the change map function and code form Rick tutorial

2) In your player.lua code

function Script:UpdateWorld()

If window:KeyHit(Key.Space) then

if timer > 5000

App.mapName = "myMap"

timer = 0

end

end

Why a timer : simply to avoid to detect multiple Space bar key press during one second so avoid multiple load map.

Once we detect one, we wait one second before allowing a new change map.