Maya LT on Steam!

SlipperyBrick

Blender :

Hard surface modeling : all you could need

UV: all your need and easy , specially Unwrap and it's the new three methods available

Skinning : Automatic weights , and weight paint from lot of years

Animation : Bones and IK , once rigged it's easy ot use Pose mode

Sculpting : not primary task ,but lof of improvments, can be used for production if you target mid sculpt details (have subdivision scultpt now like Sculptris system)

For new people , just need to learn step by step some tutorials, but once you done it 1, 3 times, the main tasks for indie content game mainly just remains the same and repetitive.

Autodesk makes good advert indeed to attract, but beeing more objective it has nothing i can't find in Blender or that could justify to pay so much for modeling/animation.

I forgot : Blender is FREE smile.png

You can customize all, from color of selected elements, to vertex size etc ...

And as it has so many options and buttons you can install themes that will make it lot more "readable" and make you at home with it.

post-3271-0-47912200-1398208087_thumb.jpg

Stop toying and make games

Yougroove is right. autodesk apps are a bit expensive in my pinion though they are very good .For that kinda loot you could have weekend vacation and still have money left to buy half a dozen models.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

Keep in mind, as awesome as blender is, it suffers from a community driven user interface. Blender simply doesn't make any logical sense to me, that's why I use Anim8or. Other people will pay for software even though there may be better and more viable open source tools. For me, its because I simply don't like Blender but its the first tool I would recommend after Anim8or.

The problem with 3d apps is there is too big a gap in pricing between the cheaper ones and the big names like autodesk.

Silo ac3d and hexagon re all cheaper and quite good but have no animation. Theres no mid price range.

I would pay up to $350 for such an app but that's my limit.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

Yep, i own Silo2 and it is complete for hard surface modeling

You can keep Blender for exclusive rigging and animation , as rigging is easy as possible , and animation is just line any animation software and clear.

A cheap good suite :

- Hard surface modeling : Blender,Silo2 , sketchup

- rigging / animation : Blender

- Sculpting : 3D Coat - sculptris - BLender

- Retopology : 3D Coat - Blender

As you can see Blender allows to do all (even if to some degree for sculpting).

I would pay up to $350 for such an app but that's my limit.

I agree for more money i would expect really great and special features in indie domain making as i'm not a game company, like Zbrush that has so much features and so powerfull to super detail sculpting.

@ScrotieFlapWack :

I baught Zbrush 3.5 with 4.0 pre order for some 600$ , never had to pay any 4.0 upgrades, and it really worthed every penny for such advanced sculpting tool heavily used in 3D industry. It was big price , but many reasons makes was it was great tool for what i can do with it and deserved to put such money on it.

Here not all pople would put 600$ on Zbrush , it's also a matter of taste, it's your opinion and how will you use it , for some people it can be a great tool, for others not.

For Maya if you see it's the best modeling for you where you are at ease and you think you will use it enought, and 700$ worth the investment than why not (you should try some trial before buying).

I have the educational version of Maya 2014 and I am slowly learning it for animation only (modelling I've pretty much got that down). The only problem is I can't use anything from it due to it only being an educational version I cannot export anything to use in my commercial game :(

I wanted to get Maya LT cos it's cheaper than Maya and the only thing I'll be using it for is animation. At the moment I'm still learning animation and trying to learn the general principles of it in Blender. If I can get the same results in Blender as I can in Maya LT though then I won't see any reason to get it. But £50 a month is to expensive for me I was hoping to get a price for the full software as I hate subscriptions (that's what is so great about Leadwerks you buy it once and it's yours forever).

At the moment I'm still learning animation and trying to learn the general principles of it in Blender. If I can get the same results in Blender as I can in Maya LT though then I won't see any reason to get it. But £50 a month is to expensive for me I was hoping to get a price for the full software as I hate subscriptions (that's what is so great about Leadwerks you buy it once and it's yours forever).

Blender have all you need for animation, and it's easy once you done it 2 or 3 times (just need to learn and practice how to switch between Pose/edit mode and weight paintings). For free you'll have Inverse Kinematics also, so yesperhaps spare your 50$ in things that worth it more laugh.png

• Upvote 1