Updating essential files

AggrorJorn

I like to keep my projects clean. That means models, textures, maps I don't use or are by default part of the SDK, are removed.

The problem is that when there is an update for your project you need to select the project in the project manager. Then you click update and all the sample models. scripts and maps that are part of the SDK are once again downloaded in to your project.

Another problem that occurs is when you are working a lua project and your version of the App.lua gets overwritten by the default one.

Could all these default models, sounds and textures be placed in the sample project, rather than in the SDK? Or having an option to update the project with only essential files instead of adding all sample data.

• Upvote 7

I had this exact same problem last night. I updated my project with all my scripts took out the ones that come with the Leadwerks. Did the same for the materials and the models etc. Pressed update and it updated 107 files lmao. I'm sure I have seen a project cleaner in the Werkshop that you can download that will remove all the Leadwerks sample stuff, I dunno how well it works and wouldn't recommend using it on an important project lol

• 1 month later...

I don't understand how this can mess up your project. Everything in the common template has a good reason for being there. The file App.lua only gets updated about once every three months or so.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I don't understand how this can mess up your project. Everything in the common template has a good reason for being there. The file App.lua only gets updated about once every three months or so.

Say I'm working on a project where all assets are custom made. Every time the project is updated through the IDE it will copy all models and textures from the sample game. Like why would I need the crawler model if I'm not using it.

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

Well initially people were getting confused because new projects were missing things like the player script and other stuff. But I can see a good case for the template only including what you absolutely need.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

On the other side of that coin, when I was creating the Steam examples, I couldn't use the following code

Font* font = Font::Load("Fonts/Arial.ttf",36);
context->SetFont(font);

because Fonts/Arial.ttf isn't part of a new project. As such, examples for functions like DrawText and SetFont in the documentation (which include those lines) will naturally fail.

That said, I've also suggested before that projects need a way to be cleansed and kept clean of unrequested assets.

• 2 months later...

I want to raise this topic again. Having the ability to chose which files are updated, or just the important ones is a must.

I just updated 3 projects with the latest updates. This means that all kinds of models, textures and sounds are being downloaded to my projects again that I previously deleted. Since I don't use these models I don't want them in my project.

• Upvote 1