Installing Leadwerks for Linux

Josh

that you need openGL 4 graphics is a old hat. and nope. it will never fallback.

you need openGL 4 grapics to create the game and you will need it to play. we live in 2014 now. opengl 4 was released 2010. if there would be a fallback you would missing a bunch of features. your game development also needs time. if your game ever be finished there will be maybe openGL 5 available.

you will also have no fun with openGL 3 graphics while creating 3d stuff (AAA)

This is not a matter about we live in 2014, some 2D games using simple 2D like Elisian Dust on Xbox are amazing game gems, not made with last OpenGL4 or graphics. It's not only advanced 3D engine graphics that makes a game and it's success (Limbo, Journey, Minecraft etc ... ).

The point is simple LE3 is 3D PC/Linux , OpenGL4 only, only that for that later hardware.

If someone need older 3D cards for simple 3D without deferred render or for 2D games , indeed there is lot of demand and a market, specially indie people and companies. But in that case LE3 is not the right tool and it won't go to adapt for your needs. So you'll have to switch to another 3D/2D engine or API.

People buying LE3 or using it should be aware it's OpenGL4 only, perhaps display OPENGL 4 clearly in LE3 site banners laugh.png ?

Stop toying and make games

Since Intel isn't going to support GL4 in Linux any time soon, a GL 3.3 fallback should be possible. AFAIK it just means no geometry shaders or tessellation on that hardware. I don't know for sure until I try it, but it sounds like it will work.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Josh, If you are going to implement a GL3.3 fallback (it seems likely), please also test on the AMD open-souurce drivers, which also only currently supports up-to GL3.3. The reason I ask this, is that people often use what is installed by default, and usually that is the open-source drivers.

• Upvote 2

With some prodding, turns out the example maps can be made to run on Debian using `ld.so --library-path`.

Method: download a more up-to-date libc from Jessie, copy its lib folder to Leadwerks/libc-amd64, run `~/Leadwerks/libc-amd64/ld-2.18.20 --library-path ~/Leadwerks/amd64 ./MyGame`. Have to rename the desired example map to start.map for it to work. Runs perfectly omg so cool.

I couldn't get the editor to run using this method, but eh, not really a problem to demand that the developer uses Ubuntu or Jessie.

Excellent, good to see its finally available! Unfortunately ...

velofille@ishtar:~/Leadwerks$ ./Launcher
sh: 1: gnome-terminal: not found

Initializing OpenGL4 graphics driver...
OpenGL version 331
GLSL version 330
Device: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
Error: OpenGL4 graphics driver is not supported.
Failed to initialize graphics. Your graphics hardware may not be supported.

sad.png

time to upgrade!

same here mellow.png

exact same video card too.

I regret buying a laptop with an ATI card. They dropped official support for their driver, the assholes. I am running on the open source now.

Ubuntu 13.10 isn't supported, but someone has an alternative script in the Ubuntu forum. He also mentioned menu problems.

Yes, the menu is in the application window instead of the global menu - not a big issue for me though.

The menu being in the application window is preferred for me as I use Gnome3, not Unity. In fact I had completely uninstalled Unity, but the Leadwerks installer wanted to reinstall parts of it as dependencies. Ugh.

Ubuntu is a horrible distribution, Arch users never have to run around trying to solve "package dependencies" or have to worry about downloading packages that are over a year out of date, or waste time trying to find ppas to appease that problem.

So I hope that we get some sort of fix soon, or maybe it just goes to show, that closed-source software doesn't really belong in the linux community.

Part of me agrees with your sentiment, that Ubuntu is not the be-all-end-all of Linux and that software devs targeting Linux need to make it a bit more flexible and generic. I say this as a LONG TIME Ubuntu user myself (since Hoary Hedgehog 5.04, their second release). However, a larger part of me thinks we need to cut Josh some slack, give him time to grow into these Linux shoes he's slipped on, and not discourage him. A small part of me wants to suggest that if you can do it better as Open Source software, please do go right ahead.

• 4 weeks later...

Does the video card need to support openGL 4.4?

OpenGL version 210
GLSL version 0
Device: AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series
Warning: OpenGL 210 or GLSL 120 are not supported.

It supports 4.0.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_HD_5000_Series

I think so.

Software & Updates >> Additional Drivers >> Using Video driver for AMD graphics accelerators from fglrx (proprietary)

sgm3@G73Jh:~$ sudo lshw -c video | grep configuration
 configuration: driver=fglrx_pci latency=0

sgm3@G73Jh:~$ fglrxinfo
display: :0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series
OpenGL version string: 4.3.12798 Compatibility Profile Context 13.35.1005

Did you follow any tutorial on how to install them? I'm no expert in Linux but I got it working with a AMD Radeon HD 5870 (which is from the 5800 Series as well and thus should use the same driver as yours, I guess) in Ubuntu 14.04, following this guide:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/AMD

I followed the instructions on the above website from point 3.1 (manual installation).

Hope that helps.

I did purge and reinstall, but not manually. I will do a manual install.

However, perhaps I misunderstand the terminal output, because it does say openGL version 4.3

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version"
OpenGL version string: 4.3.12798 Compatibility Profile Context 13.35.1005

**Edit

I did a manual install and I get the same feedback from Leadwerks.

root@G73Jh:~/Leadwerks# ./Leadwerks
OpenGL version 210
GLSL version 0
Device: AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series
Warning: OpenGL 210 or GLSL 120 are not supported.
Failed to initialize graphics.  Your graphics hardware may not be supported.

My openGL version was updated from 4.3 to 4.4.

sgm3@G73Jh:~$ fglrxinfo
display: :0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series
OpenGL version string: 4.4.12874 Compatibility Profile Context 14.10.1006

I will try reinstalling Leadwerks.

OpenGL version 210
GLSL version 0

Says Leadwerks tries to initilialize opengl4 graphics driver, but gets a opengl 2.1 driver in return (from what I understand)

HP Omen - 16GB - i7 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

I got it booted up.

I kept the defult install directory, root, for the first install. The second install was to my home directory.

I had to kill Leadwerks to close due (root) permissions of the home/Documents/Leadwerks directory. I Launched Leadwerks again, only this time as 'su' and it would not launch. I, again, recieved the:

So, I changed the permissions of the /home/Documents/Leadwerks directory to user and launched without 'su'.

It boots up, saves, and closes just fine now. No other issues to report.

Thanks to those that attempted to help me.

• 7 months later...
  • 7 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...