3ds max to GMF exporter

ArBuZ

I mean the terrain that the editor generates that is not a part of your model. If there is terrain inside of editor in the scene that you are viewing your model in, then it will be added to the total number of polygons being drawn in the statistics.

No, there is no terrain at all... I'll rebuild a new level by myself to be sure.

when you convert to gmf, does it automatically convert polys to triangles? so if you had say a 3dmax model with a 4sided poly that was converted to gmf, it would become two triangles? it seems to do this, but maybe its just the way i am doing the conversion...

Looking like Leadwerks works good with 4-sided polys, so no needs in triangulation...

Okay, thanks to both of you: as we would rebuild level, i thing we would be able to find, where is a problem.

PS: i rebuilded level by myself (with old models, still without instancing) and get 99K... Looking like there was designer fault. Anyway, shadow polys are still non-zero even as i played with light's properties: Active and Enabled, Shadow casting, Culling, Distances.

post-648-1267349975326_thumb.jpg

Working on LeaFAQ :)

Have you tried disabling shadows on the model ?

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

Em... well, i need shadows on the model ;)

If setting static casting shadows, there is no shadows, btw.

But as the light is static(for now), its supposed to be 0 shadows polygons, due to using the new feature...

Well... then, maybe its a little offtopic, but what is the difference between static and dynamic shadow casting?

post-648-12673533349396_thumb.jpg

post-648-12673533602222_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Working on LeaFAQ :)

but what is the difference between static and dynamic shadow casting?

http://leadwerks.com/werkspace/index.php?/page/index.html?record=18

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

You're welcome, I think you will find also you can not use a Directional light for this (currently)

Why not Directional Lights?

Josh : Directional lights usually have to be recalculated every single frame, because the camera is usually in motion. One technique I want to try with directional lights is one of those skewing techniques. They are glitchier than cascaded shadow maps, but if something with reasonable results can be implemented, it will only require one render of the scene, instead of the three that CSM requires.

Double-buffered shadow maps

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Hi!

The exporter exports only triangles and it splits quads or polygons to triangles, because the engine anyway uses triangles.

If you open your model in the Model viewer, the number of tris will be the same as in 3ds max. Its an Editor issue.

Q6600@2.4GHz - 9600GT - 4GB DDR2@800MHz - Windows7 x64

3ds max / photoshop CS3 / C++

http://www.arbuznikov.com

• 2 weeks later...

That means, that error exception has been occured. There is tow reasons of it 1st - your model. and the 2nd - bug in my exporter. 1st is more likely. What are your trying to export? Is the model animated or skinned? There are some requirements for exporting models.

There are some requirements for exporting models.

First, I love the exporter! It's been super useful ever since I found it. But do you have a list somewhere of the requirements you just mentioned? Last night I got an error trying to export a model. There are only three causes I can think of immediately:

1. The models were about 20,000 triangles total

2. I had open meshes (uncapped), like gloves

3. The models were mapped before but I removed the textures (they were pointing to images which were no longer there)

I wasn't doing or exporting any animation/bones/skinning.

Also, a related topic: on larger meshes the script takes quite a while to finish. The attempt above, for example, took maybe a minute or two and then finally gave me an error. It's done the same for items it successfully exported. Is there a way to make it faster?

Thanks again. Whether or not you can answer, I'll do some more testing to see what the problem may be, like trying to export just the uncapped gloves) or putting proper textures on the meshes.

I've narrowed it down to a single mesh which was causing the problems: the boots. I've attached the max file to this post, as well as a screenshot of the settings I used to export. The specific error is: "There was an error during export objects!" If I delete the boots and try to export the rest of the stuff in the scene, it exports fine (though it takes a while to do so). The gloves I had on the character were also open meshes but those exported without problems (using the same settings). Any ideas why this doesn't export?

boot.zip

post-368-12684591746225_thumb.png

Hi! Because of my bad English I couldn't explain in detail all specifics of exporting.

I'll try:

1. Models shouldn't have isolated vertexes.

2. Try to uncheck all checkboxes that you don't need.

For example if your model doesnt use smoothing groups. Exporting will take very long time for large models if there is no any smoothing group applied to the polygons but "Export smgs" is checked. Try to use "Auto smooth". If only single material is applied (then you should uncheck mat IDs. Or if you use only 4 or 5 IDs then set maxID number to 5) Don't check vertex color if you don't need them.

3. for skinned models:

Only skin modifier is supported. The skin modifier should be on top in modifier stack. While exporting the exporter converts the model to mesh and back to poly several times, and its supposed that the number of vertexes is the same all the time. Best way to achieve that is to apply "edit mesh" and "edit poly" modifiers before skin modifier.

4. All materials must be standard.

I've narrowed it down to a single mesh which was causing the problems: the boots. I've attached the max file to this post, as well as a screenshot of the settings I used to export. The specific error is: "There was an error during export objects!" If I delete the boots and try to export the rest of the stuff in the scene, it exports fine (though it takes a while to do so). The gloves I had on the character were also open meshes but those exported without problems (using the same settings). Any ideas why this doesn't export?

Boot model has isolated vertexes(Vertexes that don't belong to any polygon or edge) Convert it to editable poly, select all vertexes and press "Remove isolated vertexes" in edit vertices rollout

The only issue I have come across while exporting anything a second time is that if you have modified or created a .mat file for the object and export it with the "Export Materials" setting checked it will overwrite your .mat file with one generated by the exporter. I always just make sure to back up my .mat file before re-exporting, and then I haven't had any problems.

Vista | AMD Dual Core 2.49 GHz | 4GB RAM | nVidia GeForce 8800GTX 768MB

Online Portfolio | www.brianmcnett.com

The only issue I have come across while exporting anything a second time is that if you have modified or created a .mat file for the object and export it with the "Export Materials" setting checked it will overwrite your .mat file with one generated by the exporter. I always just make sure to back up my .mat file before re-exporting, and then I haven't had any problems.

Hi! In new version Ive added replacement mode for mat files. So you can choose replace or skip existing mat files. New version is ready, and Im testing it now. I'll post it very soon.

When i export model i save this model in the new folder in models folder. But in the editor in the right side this folder is not seen. There is only seen the model. And the model become without any texture in the editor. What is the problem?

- When your editor is active when you export the object, you have to restart the engine to see any new changes in textures or models.

- Remember that placing your object in a folder in the SDK, does not mean that you object is in that folder when you are inside your editor.

- name your object this: foldername_yourmodel.gmf. Your model will display in the editor in the 'foldername' folder.

- When your editor is active when you export the object, you have to restart the engine to see any new changes in textures or models.

- Remember that placing your object in a folder in the SDK, does not mean that you object is in that folder when you are inside your editor.

- name your object this: foldername_yourmodel.gmf. Your model will display in the editor in the 'foldername' folder.

I did all as you say. But my object displayed in the editor 'mymodel.gmf'. Folder is not seen in the editor..