3ds max to GMF exporter

ArBuZ

Leadwerks tools 2.3

3ds max to GMF exporter is an alternative exporter that Ive made. It is max-script plugin that exports data directly from 3ds max to gmf file.

There are fuatures and installation notes below. And some information how does this work.

Supported features:

1. Exporting of any number of objects saving hierarchical relationships.

2. Exporting of smoothing groups.

3. Exporting of materials IDs.

4. Exporting of materials.

5. Exporting of animation

6. Exporting of skin data

7. Exporting of vertex colors

8. Exporting of 2 UV - channels

9. Exporting of custom attributes (properties)

10. Generation of *.ini files

11. Generation of *.phy files

12. Generation of LUA scripts for object properties

13. Exporting of tangents and binormals

14. Ability to export only materials without exporting of mesh.

15. Scaling.

16. Batch exporting of objects to separate files.

17. Automatic LOD exporting.

Installation:

Extract files from archive to "3dsmax root folder\Scripts\Startup\"

If you have files of previous version of the exporter, then remove them.

The plugin will appear in main menu bar as Leadwerks tools menu.

Download link:

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/files/file/210-leadwerks-tools-for-3ds-max/

Help pdf file is included in exporter archive.

Sorry for my English.

I will be glad if someone will find it usefull. Thanks

• Upvote 2

Q6600@2.4GHz - 9600GT - 4GB DDR2@800MHz - Windows7 x64

3ds max / photoshop CS3 / C++

http://www.arbuznikov.com

Thanks ArBuz for the continued support of your tool. It saves me quite a few steps, and works extremely well with every object I've ever made. If anyone is using Max + Leadwerks and doesn't have this tool, they're seriously missing out.

simpleSigPNG.png

Artist, Animator, Musician, P/T Programmer

Dual Core @ 2.6GHz per /nVidia 9600 GT/ 4 GBs DDR3 6800 / XP Pro 32/64 Bit

Photoshop CS3 / 3D Studio Max 8 / VS '08

• 5 weeks later...

should I report bugs here or in download section? :)

in V2.1 exporter do not export phy in convex hull type. by choosing convex hull physic body will be collition tree.

Omid Saadat

OD Arts Blog

AMD Phenom II X4 940 - Geforce 8800GTS - 4GB RAM - XP x86

AMD 6000+ - Geforce 9800 GT - 2GB RAM - XP x86 (Home pc)

Intel Core i7 - Geforce 310M - 4GB Ram - Win7 x64 (Laptop)

We need an updated version for 3ds Max 10. :o

52t__nvidia.png nVidia 530M cpu.gif Intel Core i7 - 2.3Ghz 114229_30245_16_hardware_memory_ram_icon.png 8GB DDR3 RAM Windows7_Start.gif Windows 7 Ultimate (64x)

-----

IconVisualStudio16.png Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate google-Chrome.png Google Chrome PhotoshopLinkIndicator.png Creative Suite 5 icon28.gif FL Studio 10 MicrosoftOfficeLive.png Office 15

-----

csharp.png Expert cpp.png Professional lua_icon.png Expert BMX Programmer

-----

i-windows-live-messenger-2009.pngskype-icon16.pngaim_online.pnggmail.pngicon_48x48_prism-facebook.pngtunein-web.pngyahoo.giftwitter16.png

How can Autodesk still make apps which are not backwards compatible, don't they ever learn?

Lotus has made apps since 1985 which are all backwards compatible still today!

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I'm running it in max2010 x64 and have no problems.

But I would really prefer some kind of automatic LOD export.

So if you have your model plus two LoD models the exporter should recognize them. Maybe with some naming conventions like _lod1; _lod2 at the end of the model.

Would be a nice timesaver. ;)

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

I'm running it in max2010 x64 and have no problems.

But I would really prefer some kind of automatic LOD export.

So if you have your model plus two LoD models the exporter should recognize them. Maybe with some naming conventions like _lod1; _lod2 at the end of the model.

Would be a nice timesaver. :)

Yep I know that this function will be very usefull! I just almost dont have free time. Ill implement it as soon as possible :)

• 3 weeks later...

it seems exporter don't scale model for obj2phy exporter (I tested optimized convex hull)

my phy bodies are much bigger than model. :lol:

any other experiences?

Omid Saadat

OD Arts Blog

AMD Phenom II X4 940 - Geforce 8800GTS - 4GB RAM - XP x86

AMD 6000+ - Geforce 9800 GT - 2GB RAM - XP x86 (Home pc)

Intel Core i7 - Geforce 310M - 4GB Ram - Win7 x64 (Laptop)

Yes. The exporter uses 3dsmax obj exporter to get obj files for converting them to phy. I cant access it's properties to set scale from maxScript. You have to set obj scale manually. Just export once any object to OBJ from 3ds max (File->Export selected") and set scale in OBJ Exporter dialog. Then my exporter will use that options.

• 5 weeks later...

Greetings

I have some problems with Converter and Leadwerks Editor.

Our 3d artist created Citadel in Max:

http://leadwerks.com/werkspace/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=399

Then, using converter ( http://leadwerks.com/werkspace/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=7 ), he converted it to several models Citypart1.gmf-Citypart7.gmf and so on and a scene with completed citadel: scene.sbx

http://leadwerks.com/werkspace/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=400

As you can see, in MAX model consists of 96K triangles (well, about 100K), but Editor shows that there is 762K... Whats wrong?

Also, Editor shows that there is only 19 Mb used, but Task manager dont agree with this and he says that there is 133 Mb used by Editor.

PS: i updated Leadwerks to last version(there may be shadow-saver feature), but i still have 122K shadow polygons (in addition to 636K model's polygons, but there may be lower then 100K). And 0.2 FPS:

http://leadwerks.com/werkspace/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=402

post-648-12672887824514_thumb.jpg

post-648-12672887983065_thumb.jpg

post-648-12672900326523_thumb.jpg

Working on LeaFAQ :)

If you have a terrain mesh created then the poly count will include that in it's total.

As far as the memory footprint goes, I think that stat is supposed to show you how much memory your meshes, textures, lights, etc, are taking (the stuff that would need to be loaded when you compile your game), not how much total memory the editor is using to allow you to edit and manipulate the scene. Kind of like how Max needs more memory to load an object to allow you to edit it than an engine needs for the same object because it doesn't need to be able to edit it. At least that is my understanding of it, someone else with better knowledge of what exactly each stat represents could probably give a better answer.

The other thing is that it looks like you are not taking advantage of the point light optimizations Josh made in 3.1 (which is the most likely cause of your dismal frame rate. That is a lot of point lights). Make sure that all of your lights and meshes are set up correctly (static, dynamic, etc), and then you should only be showing shadow polys for moving objects or lights in your stats.

Oh, and fantastic model. My compliments to your artist.

Vista | AMD Dual Core 2.49 GHz | 4GB RAM | nVidia GeForce 8800GTX 768MB

Online Portfolio | www.brianmcnett.com

Thanks, i'll resend this to him :)

Okay... Looking like engine needs 120 Mb to manage model, that weights 19 Mb... But what about polygon count? I'll tell him to play with lights (i think, he makes them all dynamic, so after making them static, shadow polygons may gone), but how can i decrease numbers of polygons from 762K to 100K at least?

Working on LeaFAQ :)

I think it's bad artism to put many meshes into one model.

Artists should make many small models instead (remember also to make models two-sided, so that they can be used standalone), then the occlusion culling works, and you can also dynamically move objects, and destroy them (when they are made of components, and then it's easier to destroy the components also).

In your model you have many identical houses, so you could have only 1 model per house and use GPU instancing to draw 10000 more houses of the same mesh with not much FPS cost!

Also the facades of the central tower should be all seperate models.

And each pillar of the bridges should be seperate models.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

But what about polygon count? I'll tell him to play with lights (i think, he makes them all dynamic, so after making them static, shadow polygons may gone), but how can i decrease numbers of polygons from 762K to 100K at least?

Did you check to see if you have a terrain mesh created? That will be included in your total polygon count and could account for a large portion of your extra poly count depending on the size and resolution. Also GPU instancing should be automatic if you export them out into unique pieces and then assemble them in the editor.

I mean the terrain that the editor generates that is not a part of your model. If there is terrain inside of editor in the scene that you are viewing your model in, then it will be added to the total number of polygons being drawn in the statistics.

when you convert to gmf, does it automatically convert polys to triangles? so if you had say a 3dmax model with a 4sided poly that was converted to gmf, it would become two triangles? it seems to do this, but maybe its just the way i am doing the conversion...

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel