Leadwerks for non-Ubuntu Linux, Arch / Fedora.. etc

Neuro

I know that leadwerks for linux is specifically aimed at ubuntu, but will it work with any other, non-debian based distros such as arch?

I'm an arch linux user and it would be a real shame if it wasn't available, because arch has such a fantastic package manager, I don't have any problems with my steam games or any other programs, so I don't see why it would be a problem.

I would think if you could get it to work then it works, but don't expect the developer of LE to support every Linux version under the sun although I'm sure he might help a little if you have specific problems. Basically that would mean buy at your own risk.

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is the official supported distro (switching to 14.04 when it comes out). Others may or may not work. The only issue I can think of that could cause problems is when the engine loads the default font from the operating system. Other than that I think they are interchangeable, but YMMV.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

i am not a fan of GNOME. So i hope it will work on Kubuntu.

And i can't think of any reason why it shouldn't.

just install gimp and it should preload all the gnome/gtk+ packages your missing ;)

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've never had anything not work before, like Ryan Icculus said recently, 99% of the time you compile one binary and it works everywhere. He called it a non-issue and a myth.

I've been distro hopping a bit lately, I just put Linux Mint Debian, based on the rolling release version of Debian on my laptop, still got Arch on the desktop, because my laptop was having some trouble with manjaro and need a distro i can install quickly.

The thing about linux is, and its a big problem with ubuntu, is that if the package repositories aren't updated incredibly regularly, then the whole advantage of being on linux is null and void.

Take blender or gimp, you always want the newest versions because there are areas where are software is lagging behind the propriety packages, so you need those new features. The same applies for many programming language libraries, like SDL. We, as game developers, need to be on the bleeding edge.

I tried to go back to ubuntu for my laptop, but it was horrible, I was immediately reminded of why I hated it, programming libraries are generally made to be backward compatible, you don't get much forward compatibility, so ubuntu's package manager throws you an old package and you are in package dependency hell for at least 10 minutes. It's awful, no wonder people think Linux is hard, and even if you are a ppa package repository wizard, you still need to find all those new ppas and ignore the out of date ones.

When I downloaded blender on the ubuntu standard ppa, it was from February 2013, that's absolutely pathetic, you can't be out of date by over a year with the way things are changing on linux, on Debian Testing it was about 6 months behind, but on arch its rarely over a day behind.

Going around configuring/compiling every software/library and everything it depends on because you have a package repositories from the dark ages is aweful, it kicks linux somewhere it hurts, in the "everything is to difficult to use/install nerve".

SteamOS is, without question going to need its own ppa for the latest drivers for gaming related equipment and related libraries.

I don't know if you have some magical ppa or trick to get around this beo6, but I'd be interested to hear, I suppose once you have a set of things you know you like you can just remember and download them.

This is a bit of a passionate issue for me, I think people who are looking to make games with leadwerks are going to have some good computer skills by necessity, I mean, even understanding the basics of how games work is a good year of study for those who didn't just pick it up as an interest. Most people who use ubuntu however, often just use it for basic tasks, like surfing or a media center on old computers.

- Sorry for the big message, I just wanted to get that package repository issue off my chest.

Thanks Neuro now I know why I'm on manjaro and never liked Ubuntu so much.

well ubuntu is more stable than windows but I did get impression ubuntu is pretty much buggy.

Learn to obey

before you command

when you see very good tactic

sit back and think again.

Basics prince Zuko.

Basics are your greatest strength.