UTF Wide strings - Multilingual games

Christian Clavet

Hi, I was checking (again) the Leadwerks page from the Steam store, and remarked this details:

"... File paths cannot contain Cyrilic characters"

So the engine, cannot parse theses type of characters ex: french is using theses "éèçë" in a file paths. So does it also mean that the managing of strings is on a byte basis? It might not handle theses characters in strings inside the engine?

Would be nice to have a UTF-8 string class that could handle more types of character to create multi languages games.

For now, since the GUI features are at minimum I could perhaps get the display context and use Irrlicht to draw the strings in that context (was using this before pre-ordering Leadwerks) or use a GUI lib.

For english only games, this would not matter at all since all the english characters are represented in the basic "ascii" table.

But the LUA features that Leadwerk have seem so good, that I would have to do some kind of hack to store my strings in a LUA script (I was thinking to create dialogs/subtitles in multiple language simply by using LUA.)

That's not really a problem right now, since I need to give you the time to let you complete 3.1smile.png, learn Leadwerks and produce some prototypes to know how to get around. Perhaps, after 3.1 if you would like to have Multilingual support for improved GUI... Being able to store in widestring format would also help if we use a external GUI.

• Upvote 1