Modify Script input values at runtime

YouGroove

Yes , modify Script input values (panel script) at runtime.

Why ?

Because you could tweak in real time lot of stufff without having to re launch engine each time.

For example :

Camera position

Camera swinging parameter values

Character speeds and jumping parameters

Jumpad force at runtime

I don't say to keep that values saved , but at least be able to change them in real time.

Stop toying and make games

Yes, we could for each variable code inputs, but here it is more workflow :

Automatic possibility to change in the panel editor values of script variables exposed without having to code anything.

This is possible in some engines to do that, LE3 could implement it.

It's just each frame when game is run ,depending on what entity has been selected before, just read the script values on the panel of that entity.

• 1 month later...

Without that, fine tunning anyhing like distances gameplay, camera offsets and values, spawner systems distances and positions ... it's a pain, it asks to load level that is long to load than again and again while trying to find the best values.

You loose hours at final juts re lauching each time to test and fine tune values.

Could it be possible ? i don't ask to save the values , only game running to take account of slot inputs values we change.

Would make workflow and adjustements totally ground breaking.

You are talking about data driven programming. You can set this up yourself, but it would require a fair amount of setup. Basically you'd want the values that need to be modified to be read from a file. Then while the game is running you'd press a key to reload the values from file. This way you can modify the file while the game is still running.

I undertand Rick, but it would be a real pain in workflow each time dealing with your file.

It's not spamming, but i mean just and the more simply in the world laugh.png do like Unity, why thinking in complicating things ?

You can change any exposed script values during gameplay , they are not saved , but at least you can tweak as much as you want ot find the good values.

This is automatic , i want LE3 to do the same laugh.png, i think it can be done, nothing incredible as their exposed values are read at game start, just read again them during gameplay.

Or some events on value changed send to the engine with value and variable name.

post-3271-0-59171500-1397592847.jpg

Thanks Rick.

Yes i understand, it's not 10 people behind ready to implement stuff, even with 10 people things can take lot of time laugh.png

It's just that game adjusting can take long time because time stop/start the game (and loading time doesn't help).

It's a suggestion, should not be so incredible to implement, but wel ... suggestions get easy forgotten.