Looking for an easy model program

Ginger George

For a complete package I would recommend Blender to someone who has never used another 3d modelling application before, its probably the best thing to start using, its forever growing and has a great community for support.

If you want something that is a paid for application I use Maya and would recommend that although its pricy. I use it mostly for my rigging and animation work however the modelling tools are quite adequate.

I would like to ask what you mean by complete though? (modelling, uv, rigging & animation?)

You can always use a couple of applications alongside each other which is what a lot of people do and many industry artists will tell you is not a bad thing. I find that 3D Coat is likely the best most affordable option out there for sculpting high detailed organic and hard surface objects and creatures, it definitely competes with Zbrush although they have a few differences. (I use both so I'm talking form what I know) If you use Blender you can utilize the sculpting that software offers but in my opinion its not nearly as great as 3D Coat, its definitely getting there, but its not there yet :P

I find myself using 3D Coat (right now) more for the UV and retopology tools than the sculpting, another thing that Blender has (the retopo tools) which Maya 2014 does too, I think that you'll find at the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference and how much you can or want to spend on the stuff.

There are cheaper solutions aside from the free Blender just encase you cannot get on with it as I know many people just can't...

Silo2: (Affordable but paid)

A great modelling solution that offers Uv tools and a set of retopology tools

Nvil: (free & Paid)

This is solely a modelling application, but you can use Roadkill alongside it for the UV requirements. A very nice and customizable application that I would happily recommend to people that are having a hard time with Blender.

There are others and I will likely go and make a full post about them with more information in a short while as to help others looking for this type of thing but I think that you will find it hard to come across a more complete package than Blender without paying a nice lump sum of cash. Like 3D Coat, its great for sculpting, UVing and Retopologising but not so great for things like creating lower poly models, it also has amazing tools to paint on your mesh very nicely too, I will make a tutorial on this very soon! So using this tool alongside your favorite modelling application will only prove beneficial.

Also, I love using Sculptris as a free sculpting application, its truly amazing and probably the easiest way to jump into the world of 3d sculpting, like YouGroove has just said, grab a cheap wacom tablet and have fun with it :P I think you'll find yourself in need of a graphics tablet if you plan on creating good textures and sculpting on meshes.

I hope this helps a little!

• Upvote 1

You forgot anotehr not so well advertised , but very capable but expensive also : MODO.

Anyway i think Blender and sculptris are a good start and FREE package smile.png

In Sculptris , what i found crazy about sculptris is that no people show videos or use in their models , multiple ojects as you can work with several (like character and armors as other objects)

For Blender, dive on Youtube and search basics tutorials for 2.6 and above.

• Upvote 1

Stop toying and make games

Blender is not an "easy" 3d app.It is unconventional and a bit of an oddball. Yes it has most of what you want (if you can find it)

I had to google to find "select all" and "undo" and a number of other things which are easy to access in other 3d apps.

Blender is good but not easy.

Eit: Iwould reccomed gmax but for the lack of export options. Its old but its free.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

You forgot anotehr not so well advertised , but very capable but expensive also : MODO.

Anyway i think Blender and sculptris are a good start and FREE package smile.png

In Sculptris , what i found crazy about sculptris is that no people show videos or use in their models , multiple ojects as you can work with several (like character and armors as other objects)

I've done this and made videos... I think they are somewhere on youtube but not too sure, I may have taken them down some time ago.

I love MODO, but its too expensive to just up and buy and the steam edition isnt worth it in my opinion.

I have to agree with cassius - blender is down right hostile at times. how ever once you get the hang of it it's really quite great, and you have every thing you need in one single app.

If your picking up blender for the first time then go through you will want to go through chapter 2&3 a coupe of times before doing anything else

http://cgcookie.com/blender/cgc-courses/blender-basics-introduction-for-beginners/

ps: I just noticed my "l" button is broken so I had to manually copy&paste it in... sorry if I missed a few.

• Upvote 1

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

cheers for the great feed back so I thought I'll show what I've done so far. I did watch a lot of youtube on blender, as it's all new to me it was going over my head a bit, going to try out other programs to see what they are like

man body.png

going to add more polygons then add a subsurf mod (plus sort out the feet a bit)

man hand.png

i didn't want to make things hard for myself so the hand has got three fingers and a thumb

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 -- AMD FX-9370 8c -- 16GB RAM -- 2x ATi HD7970 3GB -- Water-cooled system

• 2 weeks later...

Another great program (maybe less known), is Hexagon (which is at version 2.5) now. I think you can download it for FREE! smile.png

I mostly use 3DCoat (sculpting, uv mapping, painting, etc...), blender (for rigging, modeling, uv mapping, etc...), Truespace (also a great program, and FREE, only problem is, there's not much support), and Hexagon.

I guess each has it's preferences. Best is to try out the free 3D modeling programs available.

Here's a list (not complete) of more good 3D programs:

- Carrara 8 (not free, but affordable)

- Wings 3D (open source, free)

- AC3D (free to try, buy for commercial use)

- Cheetah 3D (low price, MAC only!)

- LightWave (not cheap, but free to try. Amazing program, though ;-))

- RealSoft 3D (affordeable, free to try, available for Linux, Mac, Windows.)

- Shade 3D (free to try, affordable, Windows and Mac)

- 3D Crafter (free to try, affordable)

There are lots more, though. tongue.png

• Upvote 1

ZBrush 4R7 64-bit - 3DCoat 4.5 BETA 12 - Fl Studio 12 64Bit - LE 3.2 Indie version - Truespace 7 - Blender 2.71 - iClone 5.51 Pro - iClone 3DXChange 5.51 pipeline - Kontakt 5 - Bryce 7 - UU3D Pro - Substance Designer/Painter - Shadermap 3 - PaintShop Photo Pro X7 - Hexagon - Audacity - Gimp 2.8 - Vue 2015 - Reaktor 5 - Guitar Rig 5 - Bitmap2Material 3