Looking for newbie coders. (LUA)

drumwrist0123

If it's about learning, count me in, i'm newbie myself and doing it in the past days anyways, sadly my vacation is over so the time is becoming a bit low, but an hour or 2 a day should mostly be possible :). My Steam ID is masterqgj --> the steamname should be like [DooM]QuiGonJinn

@ Others - feel free to add me too if you want :)

Afaik there will be more tutorials coming, the only question is "when" smile.png until then i try to get used to the API by myself with trying "this and that" stuff hehe.

Atm.: I'm quite stuck with some inventory system. I'm not sure how to start it so that it works in the end. I was able to make a little textbased system that did work (even logging and stonecutting was already in) but now i'm trying to set it graphically up and yea, well, that's not so easy hehe. But i'm reading about it so only a matter of time i'd say.

I have a training session planned for the OP this evening via Team Viewer. If this goes well I do plan on having more of these for people who are newer to help them get started. I'm a very patient person who likes teaching/helping. I know how frustrating it can be when you are new and I think learning from a mentor can really speed things up. So, I'm doing something I always wished someone would have done for me :)

• Upvote 1

Rick I know what you mean but for the real deal everyone have to go the annoying, frustrating and painfull path of the hello World by yourself. Game Development require higher coding skills (Not only how to Code and know the coding language) , Code design, design patterns memory Management and so on. If someone want to Code a game and start here from scratch it is the holy truth that you have to read code. A lot. And when you have read a lot Code you do it again and read some coding books and then you goto 1

It doesn´t work... why? mhmmm It works... why?

everyone have to go the annoying, frustrating and painfull path of the hello World by yourself

I guess I don't agree with this statement. This is why we have schools and teachers. Yes, learning 100% yourself is one path to go, but learning from a mentor/teacher is often a much faster path. Of course everyone still has to code and get their own experience, but teachers are there to help you learn the concepts faster and allow you to ask questions, which can really help the learning process. I believe this is a better learning environment than following a tutorial. I'm not trying to turn people into master programmers here, just help them get started with Lua & Leadwerks.

probably the best way to learn coding is to do it away from the engine but if I were starting out I would probably ignore my own advice because I would be keen to get ging with a game.So I would say start with one of the tutorials and try to modify it to suit your requirements.

When you get stuck then ask for help on this forum,

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++