Xbox 360 Joystick support

YouGroove

Aria is adding support for the Steam Controller right now. It's a much better input device; it's basically got the precision of a mouse in a gamepad form factor.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

So how true is that precision of a mouse in a gamepay? I assume you used it at Valve? I have a hard time believing that can honestly be achieved.

Would be good to add support for regulare controllers aswell tho the ps3/ouya/xbox ones are more widespread and being able to use those aswell would be a huge plus for the game / engine

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

In preparation for switching to LE I recently implemented SDL 2.0 into my game code for joystick/gamepad support. I know it's not native, but it's a cross-platform library, easy to implement, and free. I was reading data from my controllers in about 20 minutes.

It's a c++ lib, so obviously this probably wouldn't help the LUA users too much. Maybe Josh could implement it directly assuming the license allows for it in something like LE? You only activate the modules you want to use, so it's pretty low overhead...

• Upvote 2

--"There is no spoon"

Would be good to add support for regulare controllers aswell tho the ps3/ouya/xbox ones are more widespread and being able to use those aswell would be a huge plus for the game / engine

+1

Lot of gamers like a lot simple controller like XBox 360, specially with all indie and arcade games. Simple but effective.

Not all people will buy a SteamController (beware of Ouya effect).

also I played some games coded with SDL and dont use xbox controller

If someone could make a lib or something that could be used in Lua would be awesome.

Stop toying and make games

Seems SDL have an agreeable license these days ( used to be lgpl ), but can you break away the input part of sdl from the rest of the framework?

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

the sourcecode is available so its possible but you have to do it by yourself to extract your needed classes

Since I was talking about the license change ( from lgpl to zlib ) it's entirely reasonable to think I am well aware that the project is opensource. Given this perhaps one could deduct that I was asking if the project was designed in such a way as to let you use pieces - in this case input specifically - independently of the rest of the framework.

System:

• 5 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I've been having trouble getting SDL to work with Leadwerks on Linux. It builds fine on Windows, but I've been getting the following error: ‘SDL_GameControllerAxis’ is not a class or namespace

I set up Code::Blocks to use these:

Compiler search directories: /usr/include/SDL2

Link libraries: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libSDL2.so

Options: -lSDL2 -lSDL2main

Am I missing anything? Could I be pointed in the right direction? I have installed the libsdl2-2.0-0 and libsdl2-dev (with the ":i386" option) packages.

Thanks!