Release date for full?

MexSource

I'm still wondering, why those who preordered past 6th Januar do not get access to the LUA Edition at steam at all. Is it a matter of money, because Josh would've to pay Steam a fee if there's another user on steam that didn't buy it there or because it was promised to the "older" preorder'ers or why? I believe, that it might help to get even more bugs found if all of us who preordered the full edition would've instant access to the steamedition too. Besides that, we could already make ourselfs familiar with the product.

I'm still wondering, why those who preordered past 6th Januar do not get access to the LUA Edition at steam at all. ....... Besides that, we could already make ourselfs familiar with the product.

Although I would agree with the idea that it might be useful to have people, who ordered the full edition, should be given acces to the steam edition, I don't see why this is an issue.

The deal was "If you pre-order before the sixth, you get free access to the steam edition". If Josh would give buyers access to the steam edition while they have purchased the steam edition after the sixth of januari, he would contradict the deal. People who have pre-ordered before the sixth of januari would be mislead.

• Upvote 1

I pre-ordered LE 3.1 after the 6 of january and have to wait. I don't mind much as I am kind of developer myself (me and someone on a open source project since 2 years now).

When you are in a small team, it can and will surely take longer than expected to deliver. I really understand this. I will wait until Josh get the Linux version operational, and have Leadwerks 3.1 more solid (Lightmaps back?) As I would prefer having an operational product than something that crash every 5 minutes because it was rushed.

One thing I might add, is that It would be nice to have LE 3.0 (Using GL3.2?) available as a "legacy" product for projects that need to reach a much wider user base. Josh will have to see if it worth it and determine the selling price for supporting "legacy" hardware (pre- GL 4.0)

GL 4.0 was implemented in hardware since almost 4 years now, but some people don't seem to like to upgrade their rig often. And with these people, having a legacy product (Le3.0) would be nice. The development should continue (feature freeze on 3.0, perhaps only bug fix), and continue with the release of LE using only GL4.0.

After 3-4 more years, anyway those old systems will stop to function properly. All theses people running old cards, most of them are running XP, and Microsoft is finally stopping supporting it.

I pre-ordered LE 3.1 after the 6 of january and have to wait. I don't mind much as I am kind of developer myself (me and someone on a open source project since 2 years now).

When you are in a small team, it can and will surely take longer than expected to deliver. I really understand this. I will wait until Josh get the Linux version operational, and have Leadwerks 3.1 more solid (Lightmaps back?) As I would prefer having an operational product than something that crash every 5 minutes because it was rushed.

One thing I might add, is that It would be nice to have LE 3.0 (Using GL3.2?) available as a "legacy" product for projects that need to reach a much wider user base. Josh will have to see if it worth it and determine the selling price for supporting "legacy" hardware (pre- GL 4.0)

GL 4.0 was implemented in hardware since almost 4 years now, but some people don't seem to like to upgrade their rig often. And with these people, having a legacy product (Le3.0) would be nice. The development should continue (feature freeze on 3.0, perhaps only bug fix), and continue with the release of LE using only GL4.0.

After 3-4 more years, anyway those old systems will stop to function properly. All theses people running old cards, most of them are running XP, and Microsoft is finally stopping supporting it.

Josh has already said hes not moving backwards to opengl 3.0, We want to move forward not backwards. According to the steam hard ware survey most people on steam have a opengl 4.0 card. Lightmaps can be handy but i would rather not have them.

Steam Hardware survey: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Where josh said he's not moving backwards: http://steamcommunity.com/app/251810/discussions/0/630802979287089496/

In this case the steam Indie Version should be tagged as Early Access. I thought the Software is ready to use

It doesn´t work... why? mhmmm It works... why?

I think the problem is that Josh did 3.0 with a lower version of OpenGL because he was hearing people say they wanted it (like you are). Then when he built it those people weren't around (ie they didn't buy Leadwerks 3.0).

Everyone wants the pretty graphics, and people pay for the pretty graphics. Now, it would be nice to be able to use 3.0's lower OpenGL version and that was the plan.

@dude The Steam edition is very capable on it's own. Why would it be tagged as Early Access? Did the Steam store page point out things that weren't true about the engine or are people projecting what they were hoping for?

Hi, Thanks for the links! I understand perfectly. I would never implement and old pipeline into my work if I'd worked hard to implement a newer and better one.

On the lighting side with the new deferred rendering system, Leadwerks 3.1 beat UNITY 3D (Max about 4 dynamic lights with the PRO version) and other similar tools. I'm really impressed that Josh was able to get transparency working with the deferred system. Saw that it was a problem when guys were trying to implement that.

I was asking if Leadwerks could make available the 3.0 version to buy (lower priced and perhaps only fix reported bugs with it and NO more work on it on the feature side).

I was thinking to use Leadwerks 3.0 to make casual games (cards games), and use 3.1+ for more serious stuff. The only problem I would see with this is "support", since the 3.0 is already done, Leadwerks would only have to give some time to fix the reported bugs. But looking at the links, I doubt that it would happen now.

In my day job, I work in a computer store as tech and saw that even new systems don't have support for GL4.0 (getting rare but still happening with 2014 systems).

As an example, I builded a system for a customer today that wanted a FX processor (FX4130), and only wanted to use the integrated graphic of the motherboard. Most of the boards that offer integrated graphic for the AMD FX chips have the AMD760G chipset that have ATI 3000 video and will support OPENGL 3.0, DX10.1. max. And it`s not a old board but a brand new one. The store is even selling replacement card as NVidia GeForce 6200. So all cards that are sold now are not all openGL 4.0 compatible.

Those things are buyed by people that don't really care about gaming and only want their "card games" from time to time. As on steam you would find mostly dedicated gamers and hardcore gamers.

I was thinking of using Leadwerks 3.0 to make little games like you could get on http://www.bigfishgames.com/ To make games for casual gamers. But I could probably use Irrlicht (using this now) to make those little games.

I have a lot of early access games and they are most of the time still good but when a game is tagged as early access I know:

- I buy a game that is still in development and may contain bugs

- Early Access is a Alpha/Beta

- I can influence the developers software with suggestions

- I support the devs budget until the game is finished

sure I can play the game but it has not full functionality

so lets take a look onto leadwerks

- there are also bugs. and a lot of them are annoying that tell me that the software is kind of unfinished

- the devs dont have finished what they want to implement into LE3 so its an Alpha/Beta State and features are coming in the next days, weeks, month, years

- We can influence the devs with suggestions

- it can take 5 years to get the "normal" version because there is no public roadmap

So its an early access for me. The features are coming ok but when they are coming in 10 years I would not preorder the fullversion :)

no questions leadwerks is nice but it is not complete.

It doesn´t work... why? mhmmm It works... why?

@Christian :

Yep Leadwerks 3.0 will have afinal release with no more bug fixes, even if you find new bugs after some days or months.

I would recommend avoiding such version that will become obsolete.

For low graphics and simple games, better use open source engines, or free ones, than Leadwerks 3.1 that requires OpenGL4, as Leadwerks 3.1 is dedicaded to "BIG" graphics features.

@AwesomeDude :

- it can take 5 years to get the "normal" version because there is no public roadmap.

Nope, in one year LE3 has changed form 3.0 to 3.1 with lot of new stuff like terrain and tools , OpenGL4 , editor revamped ...

About incomplete, i could say the black missing points are mainly :

- No GUI system (for HUD,inventory, Dialog system ...)

- Fullscreen effects (hdr, bloom, color correction and tone , DOF, SSAO)

- Grass/trees for terrain

The base

All depends on your game type that can need less or more features (top down RPG, outdoor FPS, indoor FPS , adventure game etc ...)

The new base is here, you can make games already (FPS demo, Drakness old demo).

For bugs, you can avoid them by using clever ore replacement solution , but that two demos just show you can make a playable game free of bug problem.

Stop toying and make games