OUYA / SteamOS Support and leadwerks Questions

Benji385

Hey all!

First off I need to apologize. I have had problems resetting my password the last few days so I had to make an new account... It is like my account never existed. :/

Anyway - I am planning on purchasing the 200.00 USD version of leadwerks 3.1 I need to ask a few questions -

I just got an an OUYA - I would like to develop a game for it. I would also like to develop a game for SteamOS when the time comes. smile.png

But before I do so I would like to ask a few questions -

1. Will there be a price increase for leadwerks 3.1 after the sixth of January?

2. How artist / Non Coder friendly is LeadWerks? I know that it has a visual scripting System and CSG Editor.

3. When will Android / SteamOS support arriving in leadwerks 3.1?

4. What would I need to get started with leadwerks? I am very much a non coder/Programmer. More or less a 3D Artist.

5. Is there support for terrain streaming?

Thank you for your time,

Benjamin Stanley

Hi Benjamin and welcome to leadwerks.

1. Not that I know of. When you pre-order before january 6th, you will get the steam edition as well.
  2. In all honesty: The engine leans more towards programmers than artists. That said I think an artist can still make really nice levels with the editor and models that the artists creates himself. Plus the community has a variety of scripts in the asset store that you can just drop in the editor without any coding. However, don't expect to create an entire game by just these scripts or without having to do any coding. You either need a programmer or do it yourself.
  3. Don't know if SteamOS is going to be supported.
  4. What do you mean with getting started? How to use the editor? Other programs that you need?
  5. Nope, although this was mentioned. However, never assume something based on a rumor. The terrain currently has a max of 4000x 4000 I believe.

• Upvote 1

2. How artist / Non Coder friendly is LeadWerks? I know that it has a visual scripting System and CSG Editor

Well if you have already used some scripting language with some 3D engine Lua in LE3 will suit you.

The visual programming in LE3 will need you to program in Lua all the visual components of your game yourself.

• Upvote 1

Stop toying and make games

Well if you have already used some scripting language with some 3D engine Lua in LE3 will suit you.

The visual programming in LE3 will need you to program in Lua all the visual components of your game yourself.

Actually you can create a basic game without programming so you have quick results but if you want sth. better you'll have to learn LUA (or C++) smile.png

3.1 comes with a lot of example maps that demonstrate different aspects of gameplay mechanics, without using any programming. I don't think you will get too far without some coding, but it's perfectly possible to set up a lot of interesting game events without touching the code. Most likely you would want to focus on the map design and artwork and team up with a programmer, if you have a lot of custom behavior you want to implement.

• Upvote 2

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.