Cut-tool

Jeep112

I'd really REALLY like to see a cut-tool in Leadwerks, such as there is in Hammer.

It'd be so much easier to be able to work with, and developing would definitely become a lot more fun. It's so much easier to simply make quick windows like that, instead of using a third party modeling software to something as basic as just a few blocks. But with the cut-tool, you could also make rectangles, houses, circles, everything - just like in Hammer.

Please consider this, as I've seen threads from 2009 on the old forum, asking for a cut-tool.

• Upvote 3

Not just windows. This is one of the best features of the Source Engine which I've been making maps for, for about 4 years.

It should be quite easy to program, and it would make the engine so much easier to make pretty details simply with brushes. I don't understand why Leadwerks isn't that art-friendly at all, such ad CryEngine, Source and Unity is.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

I agree. It would be very very usefull to get more advanced shaping done in the editor, without having to create these 'simple' shapes in an external 3D modeling program. It would also increase the speed to create the basic shape of your environments.

As an example...if i want to create a wall with a door opening in it, i have to create three cubes for this one wall, and then also tweak the texture scale on each face so that there's no seam (to make it appear as one whole mesh and not three seperate boxes).

So, yeah...a big +1 for such a commonly used game engine feature. smile.png

• Upvote 2

ZBrush 4R7 64-bit - 3DCoat 4.5 BETA 12 - Fl Studio 12 64Bit - LE 3.2 Indie version - Truespace 7 - Blender 2.71 - iClone 5.51 Pro - iClone 3DXChange 5.51 pipeline - Kontakt 5 - Bryce 7 - UU3D Pro - Substance Designer/Painter - Shadermap 3 - PaintShop Photo Pro X7 - Hexagon - Audacity - Gimp 2.8 - Vue 2015 - Reaktor 5 - Guitar Rig 5 - Bitmap2Material 3

Hands down this is the most dreadful omission out of all. From what I know boolean operations on constructive solid geometry (CSG) are integral to the approach and calling LE3 editor a CSG based editor is a bit misleading as for now it can only do basic manipulation of modelled props but none of the proper CSG operations.

So yeah, in short I'm looking forward to a full implementation of carve, hollow, slice and vertex editing in LE 3.1.

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

You have a free , lot more advanced tool: Google Sketchup

You can export to obj or FBX.

Even used in Uncharted 3 for proto and making models also.

Nothing beat a modeler like Blender also, as you have lot lot more tools and control on UV etc ....

I would say : keep simple boxes for BSP prototyping or super basic level layout, than replace by 3D models.

Stop toying and make games

Guys this is not the point. Yes there are many other level editors and modelling applications, but none of them can beat the established Valve Hammer or 3D World Studio editing. It is fast, simple, accurate and most importantly FUN. Your creativity is lost when you have to switch between applications and constantly re-import your assets. This is why I bought Leadwerks in the first place- it combines level editing and Lua scripting in one coherently designed package.

My only wish is they re-implement full CSG tool set from 3DWS.

[Edit]

I personally never liked SketchUp.

• Upvote 2

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

Yes there are many other level editors and modelling applications,but none of them can beat the established Valve Hammer or 3D World Studio editing.

They were established, nowadays, Cryteck, UDK etc ... are the big ones, and they don't use BSP.

Even on UDK veteran 3D artists use BSP at minimum, all beeing models in AAA games.

Lot of stuff would be a nightmare to make in BSP, modeler tools are lot more powerfull and have lot more tools indeed, but for indie people and small games, yes BSP is great.

It is fast, simple, accurate and most importantly FUN. Your creativity is lost when you have to switch between applications and constantly re-import your assets. This is why I bought Leadwerks in the first place- it combines level editing and Lua scripting in one coherently designed package

Yes BSP for indoor games mainly, beeing only in LE3 and just using BSP is fun indeed.

But you'll have to use other software for 3D models like characters and props, and other software for textures.

My only wish is they re-implement full CSG tool set from 3DWS

I agree i would like that cut tool also , and some boolean combine tool to merge BSP objects.

We don't know when it will be released, i just hope you find a way to make your game meanwhile.

Stop toying and make games

• 11 months later...

there is a better possibility to generate the scene objects like houses with doors,windows,roofs,furnishing.

take a look at sims 4 or

take a look or demo of Punch Home & Landscape Design Premium

http://www.punchsoftware.com/

i mean i wish the leadwerks editor can do something like this.

PC : Win 10 Pro 64 Bit , 4x cores ~2 GHz , 8 GB RAM , AMD R7 265

2D : Photoline , Zooner Photo Studio 13 , Art Rage Studio 3.5.4 , Ashampoo Snap 7 , ...

3D : Shade 15 Basic , Carrara 8.5 & DAZ Studio 4.8 , Cheetah 3D 6.3.2 , Via Cad 8

Music : Samplitude Music Studio , Music Creator 7

IDE : Leadwerks Engine 3.x , Unity 5.x , (Unreal 4.8.x) , AGK v2.x , Construct 2 , (Clickteam Fusion 2.5) , ShiVa 1.9 , Game Maker Studio , MS Visual Studio .Net , Android Studio , Monkey , ...

@ectreemhost

daz studio is more for rendering. carrara is a good modeller with fbx support.

PC : Win 10 Pro 64 Bit , 4x cores ~2 GHz , 8 GB RAM , AMD R7 265

2D : Photoline , Zooner Photo Studio 13 , Art Rage Studio 3.5.4 , Ashampoo Snap 7 , ...

3D : Shade 15 Basic , Carrara 8.5 & DAZ Studio 4.8 , Cheetah 3D 6.3.2 , Via Cad 8

Music : Samplitude Music Studio , Music Creator 7

IDE : Leadwerks Engine 3.x , Unity 5.x , (Unreal 4.8.x) , AGK v2.x , Construct 2 , (Clickteam Fusion 2.5) , ShiVa 1.9 , Game Maker Studio , MS Visual Studio .Net , Android Studio , Monkey , ...