Quality of DDS conversion

Kronos

I made a program that generates an 4 colour (rgba) alphamap as a jpg/png. The transitions between the colours are nice and smooth. However when I convert them to dds using Leadwerks tool the transitions are no longer smooth. Using the transformed DDS alphamap for a terrain results in obvious blocking on the terrain surface. This happens whether I use compressed or uncompressed DDS output. Its worse with compression.

I have included a before and after in the attached zip. The difference is subtle but when you zoom in on the DDS you can see the blockier look.

Just wondering whether the quality of translation could be improved a bit or whether this is a limitation of the DDS format.

MARKLEAD_Alpha.zip

intel i5 2500k, ram 16gb, nvidia Geforce GTX570, asus xonar sound card. Windows 7 64 bit

I think it's a bug in the DDS converter. When I opened your DDS file in Paint.NET, I could see those 4x4 pixel blocks clearly. Then I did a Gaussian Blur with radius 8 and saved the DDS and reopened it, and the blocks were gone and all was smooth.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I always convert via Paint.NET to dds because it has the format drop down box, I can select the error metric, a checkbox to generate mipmaps, it has a preview window, and I can choose to weight the color by the alpha.

It is a pretty great program.

52t__nvidia.png nVidia 530M cpu.gif Intel Core i7 - 2.3Ghz 114229_30245_16_hardware_memory_ram_icon.png 8GB DDR3 RAM Windows7_Start.gif Windows 7 Ultimate (64x)

-----

IconVisualStudio16.png Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate google-Chrome.png Google Chrome PhotoshopLinkIndicator.png Creative Suite 5 icon28.gif FL Studio 10 MicrosoftOfficeLive.png Office 15

-----

csharp.png Expert cpp.png Professional lua_icon.png Expert BMX Programmer

-----

i-windows-live-messenger-2009.pngskype-icon16.pngaim_online.pnggmail.pngicon_48x48_prism-facebook.pngtunein-web.pngyahoo.giftwitter16.png

It is a pretty great program.

That it is, and was in my price range too :P

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

Josh,

Sorry to harp on about this but I don't know how you are getting that result. Here is what I get using uncompressed, save mipmaps options using the texturetool downloaded from the site.

Its nowhere near as smooth as your one.

Its no biggee I can use other progs for the conversion as mentioned above.

aargh..file is too big to upload.. (edit:these files are rather big aren't they:()

intel i5 2500k, ram 16gb, nvidia Geforce GTX570, asus xonar sound card. Windows 7 64 bit