buffer access

Rick

There will be a callback function, which probably provides access to the framework buffers. I don't think Josh wants us to render post-effects more often than necessary, so we should get access the latest processed buffers and add our own stuff on top of them.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

So, currently no there isn't or there is a callback function and the name escapes you of what it is?

It confuses me as to why things get hidden from us. Shouldn't we be able to decide how to use things? Even something like the framework, everything should be exposed to us to use and abuse if we wish. I can't understand why it wouldn't be.

No, nothing is hidden from us. It's just the first version of Framework, and Josh agreed that it needs some additional functions to be able to be customized for every need. In BlitzMax you have the full source code to Framework, but also then it's not very wise to modify it, since it will get overwritten by updates. So the only viable solution is to provide callback functions at the important steps inside Framework.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

That doesn't help much for the people using lua. Which is the forum that I posted this in. I do agree that trying to edit the framework is not a wise decision.

Lumooja, have you tried taking screenshots in the editor via the backbuffer yet? I see in another post in C/C++ you mentioned how to do it. I took that and put in a script and I get that damn exception error when it runs. Any ideas?

if KeyHit(KEY_SPACE) == 1 then
    SaveBuffer( GetColorBuffer(BackBuffer(),0), "Rick", 99 );
end

Ideally this all revolves around me wanting to eventually see the depth buffer and what it looks like. I have a hard time imagining how it looks and what the shaders are "seeing" in it.

The depth-buffer when drawn as an image on screen will appear as a 0.0-1.0 black to white buffer, that is either black at 0 (closest) and white at 1 (farthest), or inverted. Some render pathways will invert it because of the absoluteness you gain closer to 0, making 0 = farthest, as to avoid depth fighting issues between distant objects.

52t__nvidia.png nVidia 530M cpu.gif Intel Core i7 - 2.3Ghz 114229_30245_16_hardware_memory_ram_icon.png 8GB DDR3 RAM Windows7_Start.gif Windows 7 Ultimate (64x)

-----

IconVisualStudio16.png Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate google-Chrome.png Google Chrome PhotoshopLinkIndicator.png Creative Suite 5 icon28.gif FL Studio 10 MicrosoftOfficeLive.png Office 15

-----

csharp.png Expert cpp.png Professional lua_icon.png Expert BMX Programmer

-----

i-windows-live-messenger-2009.pngskype-icon16.pngaim_online.pnggmail.pngicon_48x48_prism-facebook.pngtunein-web.pngyahoo.giftwitter16.png