I stand and wonder.

dariovillar

We are finishing the programming of a game in blitzbasic and when we list the first version, we intend to change the graphics engine.

The best option is to switch to leadwerks by the programming language, but I would like to ask you some questions about the engine's capabilities.

1.-How many polygons can move fluently leadwerks?

2.-Hold out much longer mathematical process that BlitzMax?

3.-Do I earn a lot in graphic appearance with the engine change?

4.-What about efficient processes?

5.-Should we switch to C + +?

Thank you very much for your answers and excuse my English, which is translated by google.

Regards, Dario.

1.-How many polygons can move fluently leadwerks?

The question really is how many polygons can your GPU render fluently? A 3D engine itself does not make much of a difference, as long as it is using the fast-track rendering pathways. A few hundred thousand polys (plus shadow polys) is usually comfortable. You can easily render tens of thousands of trees and plants.

2.-Hold out much longer mathematical process that BlitzMax?

I don't understand this.

3.-Do I earn a lot in graphic appearance with the engine change?

I think so. Look at the user gallery. It's pretty easy for a programmer to download a few good-looking models and put together something that looks really good.

4.-What about efficient processes?

I don't understand this.

5.-Should we switch to C + +?

BlitzMax will be fine if you are already comfortable with that.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

1. I had over 4 million polygons rendered at a decent framerate (actually there were much more, since I didn't count shadow polys). However that is just what you see, the whole scene can have hundreds of millions polygons as only the visible polygons are rendered.

2. I don't know what you mean here. If you mean mathematical calculation time to render a frame, it's completely calculated by the hundreds of cores your GPU has. Not much is calculated on the CPU at all.

3. Yes, maximum. You can do as good or even better looking games than Crysis.

4. I think the engine is very efficient, because it uses the GPU for almost everything. Of course it has also some smart logic how to process things.

5. I would do so, if you are serious about writing games. But that's just my opinion. BlitzMax can do a lot, but it's not a industrial standard. Using Leadwerks Engine, it doesn't matter very much which language you use, since the command syntax is almost the same in all languages. However, the vast support of 3rd party libraries in C++ is what will benefit you when writing serious games, like controller supports, SDL.net, sqlite3, encryption libraries, etc...

If you however feel comfortable with BlitzBasic (and thus BlitzMax), you can always make the decision later on too, or use both BlitzMax and C++ where each fits better.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■