GUI request

YouGroove

Hummm ... i will play the bad boy , but for newbbies or new comers, to avoid them deceptions :)

Technically: every possible game you can think of. Shooters, Strategy, platformers, race, sport...

Sorry, but even Darkness is not explained block by block, it was a complete tutorial planned with Lua , but abandonned.

Strategy : mouse drag selection, mouse click on level detection, AI , states etc ... i have not seen any LE3 tutorial on all stuff needed, even how a new comer will do all interfaces TODAY without ANY GUI Actually ? hummm .....hummm ...

Racing : i have not seen any car project on LE3 and code tutorial on how to do ? hummmm ....

etc ...

In fact i think you mean : Any game type is possible if you know how to doit and if you are a skilled programmer.

Sorry i don't know if your FAQ is for any new comer even 3D artits or beginners or skilled coders ?

Anyway , that's good Agrorr it's really clear like FAQ, it could be put on menus.

Stop toying and make games

Hummm ... i will play the bad boy , but for newbbies or new comers, to avoid them deceptions smile.png

Technically: every possible game you can think of. Shooters, Strategy, platformers, race, sport...

Sorry, but even Darkness is not explained block by block, it was a complete tutorial planned with Lua , but abandonned.

Strategy : mouse drag selection, mouse click on level detection, AI , states etc ... i have not seen any LE3 tutorial on all stuff needed, even how a new comer will do all interfaces TODAY without ANY GUI Actually ? hummm .....hummm ...

Racing : i have not seen any car project on LE3 and code tutorial on how to do ? hummmm ....

etc ...

In fact i think you mean : Any game type is possible if you know how to doit and if you are a skilled programmer.

Sorry i don't know if your FAQ is for any new comer even 3D artits or beginners or skilled coders ?

You obviously do not understand what a FAQ is. This is a frequently asked questions topic, not a summary of games that have been made with Leadwerks 3 or things that you can do depending on your skill.

Where do I say that someone has made games like race or sport games? I am stating that it is possible to create such games with this engine. I am also not stating that there are tutorials about every single topic in existence. I am stating that there are tutorials.

By the way, you will never get your game completed if you are waiting for tutorials on these topics. You will either need to program or team up with someone who does.

I think it is time you start do your ranting somewhere else yougroove. This FAQ is for everyone, whether you are a programmer, designer, garbage man, pope or president.

• Upvote 3

I think it is time you start do your ranting somewhere else yougroove. This FAQ is for everyone, whether you are a programmer, designer, garbage man, pope or president.

Don't take it so bad, it was just a point of view,nothing more.

In some other concurrent engine, lot of people coming to it are 3D artits, or 3D art guys without programming or simple programming.

seeing your FAQ, i just imagined such people coming here and reading FAQ, thinking they will have some components or templates to make such games (even if thye must code a little).

Nope they would not have base code and templates like in some few other engines, but they can just figure out trying LE3 what they can do based on their programming level and game making knowledge.

Don't worry or take it so bad Agrorr this "point of view" had nothing against you,and nothing personnal indeed laugh.png

In fact i understand now FAQ, is just super general on some points without dealing with each type of users (programmer, 3D artists, beetween these ...)

@Cassius :

No way, the summer is here, sun and outdoor will be better biggrin.png

Thank you Aggror for the tutorial and for this FAQ.

Although I am not looking for tutorials for racing cars or shooters I think yougroove have a point - some sample games would help A LOT. I can tell you that i learned a lot about other engines by opening existing sample projects and doing small changes to learn.

About GUI I mentioned it many times, I am considering a game engine a rapid development tool and GUI should be part of it.

I am not moaning about this, I am trying to do constructive critique. If 90% of leadwerk usage would be big teams with dedicated programers and artists , yeah examples and gui would not be needed too much. But it seems the oposite from what i see on forum - leadweks is used by small teams or individual. Here any single item that help you accelerate your work counts. Otherwise you will probably never get to finish your work if you have to reinvent wheel for everything.

• Upvote 1

But you need to ask who will develop these "template projects".

There is darkness awaits, lcp2 in development.

Who is going to do racing, mmo etc.

The only people who could make them is the community and they have there own projects and tests. Donating to a project is great and I fully support it - thats why im helping with lcp2 but I couldn't sit and put all my time into churning out templates even if I had the talent (which I admittedly dont) cos I have my own projects to progress with.

Operation Mosquito

Recruiting 3d Modeller/Animator. (pm if interested)

It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can do only a little. Do what you can. - Sydney Smith

Mike, they don't have to be super games with super graphic. Some basic proof of concepts should be enough. I think they should be done by leadwerks team as they know the best how engine is built and i don't think would take them more than 1-2 days per demo.

Well a demo that doesn't look v.good can only negatively impact the company. People look at studio demo's and are supposed to go "Woah, I could do that" not "oh, i could of done that 10years ago with excel" etc lol

Operation Mosquito

It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can do only a little. Do what you can. - Sydney Smith

Well a demo that doesn't look v.good can only negatively impact the company

We talk more about code template demo, for your demo just use : Developper materials , you know the blue, green, yellow etc ... this is Half Life Source style textures and are perfect to dhow functionnality in some level.

Even for character we could use a texture with one color blue , and one color red characters for prorotyping and showing how the code template works.

We don't talk to make a graphic astonishing demo :

This will remain on LE3 to hire some veteran freelance 3D artist for some level design and tasks, and buy or pay another freelance for ultra detailled characters and animations to show a complex astonishing demo.

people look at studio demo's and are supposed to go "Woah, I could do that" not "oh, i could of done that 10years ago with excel" etc lol

lol, these sort of people just can talke Crysis engine , and place all amazing rocks, vegetation, textures, characters as they want, and thye can say : Whhooooaaaa i made a super looking incredible game laugh.png

What you want to do ? 3D art part, programming part ? both ? original game ? realistic ?

Once again you fail to see the point of this topic. It is a FAQ not a complaint or suggestion of the engine should have. I partially agree with your point, but make a topic for it and don't post in here.

You talk about more examples and that people just place objects and call that "their" large game. Ironically that is the exact same I expect you to do when there are multiple game demos. Do some adjusments, use 90% of the code base provided and then calling it your game.

Leadwerks 3 FAQ Cont...

How do I create a new post

Go to the forum you that best describes your post, click 'Start New Post'.

How do I hijack a thread

In the "reply to this topic" box, post unrelated queries or comments then click "post"

Do it... its the LE way :P

Operation Mosquito

Do it... its the LE way

This is the human nature way I think. This happens everywhere. Me talking about is indirectly me contributing to it too :) Forums might want to think about changing a bit to account for it because it's not going away. Maybe the concept of a side conversation allowed on each topic. People never/rarely create completely new posts about another post. Logically it does seem a little silly and less organic and more us conforming to software instead of the other way around.

Anyway, I love the idea of this post!