BSP adjust in 3D view

YouGroove

After having a scene becoming complex, it was hell to adjust as needed BSP stuff, so muc lines was only confusion.

Sorry, im' not BSP fan , or Half Life fan , even LE3 goes steam laugh.png (what is good thing)

If we could adjust BSP stuff in 3D view : move , rotate , scale , it would become as easy and clear as 3D models.

BSP2_Dview.jpg

Just wnat ot know if it could be planned, or too much work , not enought people interested ? too specific ?

Stop toying and make games

The line before the 2nd horizontal red line from the top :P just below the . on your ?

I think the issue would be that 3d view doesn't have a grid size to resize onto, each of the viewports have their own grid size that you can adjust so they aren't always locked to the same size. So which grid size would 3d use? Oh the other editors i've used all 3 viewports share the same scale so the 3d viewport would use the same for live modifications through that viewport.

Operation Mosquito

Recruiting 3d Modeller/Animator. (pm if interested)

It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can do only a little. Do what you can. - Sydney Smith

ok.

All depends on your way of working.

No grid really needed if yu make modular BSP cubes and stuff you just copy paste, you keep always same size.

But i see your point of view for 3D aligning precizely stuff : it depends on your project style.

Skyrim example :

outdoor : terrain , and just buildings, rocks ,vegetation as you wish.

indoor dungeons ; models that are modular, you just align them by snapping feature.

BSP : different, you keep some sort of 2D side and top plans in mind to work.

Well let's forget the idea laugh.png

I think you missed what i was saying.

LE3's level editor by default has 4 viewports, 1x3d, 3x2d.

The 3x2d viewports can scale gridsize independently of each other for example vp1 could be 8, vp2 could be 4 and vp3 could be 2.

This makes aligning things a nightmare, especially on larger leveling. However, if vp1, vp2 and vp3 where all set to 2, 4 or 8 it would make things simpler - you can select an object on the same axis as your looking to match up to so that you can see the line in the viewport.

That just comes down to experience and practice, some people can never see a 3d shape whilst looking at 2d viewports. Its unfortunate but it happens, others can only 2d viewports and visualize the level.

Both scaling & moving can be easily done in the 2d viewports, You can position yourself in the 3d viewport to see what you are moving quite easily. Unless you manually have the option to set the 3d viewports gridsize resizing objects in it would snap to any grid, which isn't precise.

Operation Mosquito

Recruiting 3d Modeller/Animator. (pm if interested)

It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can do only a little. Do what you can. - Sydney Smith

Okay.

For outdoor terrain and objects placements all is one in 3D view indeed (LE3 for now is not terrain)

I odn't use BSP in the same way you go, i use it freely as the game project i go for is a 3D platformer, not realistic and precise indoors.

At final what will matters will be : IS YOUR GAME GOOD laugh.png

There's actually a good reason for this. BSP geometry tends to have a lot of individual objects. When you create a flight of stairs, for example, and you select all the objects, the 3D control widgets basically fill the screen with solid red, blue, and green. I might experiment a big more to see if there is a good way to resolve this, but that's why the decision was made for them to not use the 3D widgets.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Couldnt just be the last selected object have its widget and this one will apply its movement or rotation to all? So when the user selects the stair which has to be the one on the ground last, he will be able to position it exactly. very simple solution, isnt it!? just a idea.

Then you can't use the local axis mode to rotate an object around the axis of another one, which was a frequently requested feature.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I really don't see the problem , as any BSP stuff could be treated as any model :

You select it in 3D view the axis appears like for models to move it , rotate it, scale it.

But indeed the move , rotation,scaling in that case would be "free" , no precise units, only free move and rotation like we do with models.

I can live without that as i plan ultra simple BSP platforming.