LE 3 and EKI ONE ?

YouGroove

Yeah, for sure they do have more than just the navmesh and state machine. I was just saying if we built a state machine system to the already provided navmesh it would be close to the core of what EKI-One is. It won't be exact but those 2 systems seem to be the core from what I can see.

Hummm ... not all projects requires such amount of features.

If some users have spare time appart from their game project and want to build some stuff, why not ?

I played with some old open source engine having state machines, i really dind't like that caus i wanted my own states to work in the way i needed.;

It can really depends on your proect type to need general or our onw states (some times more simple and easy to make)

Stop toying and make games

Yougroove, you're definitely right that not all devs need these advanced features and not all devs will want to use the same ones. I think the best solution for this is to provide an add-on component that provides first class integration with LE3 without any overhead in cases where it isn't wanted. It shouldn't be that difficult to manage.

Rick, I agree that a state machine implementation would be a substantial benefit to devs. Its probably the one AI technique that is so ubiquitous in games that there really isn't a good argument to omitting it from an AI suite. Perception is pretty tricky to manage in a game-agnostic way because the things and types of things that can be perceived will vary so much, but steering is also a great candidate since it's well understood and widely used.

The whole question of EKI One is somewhat academic now as Artificial Technology no longer exist having been bought out by the Masa Group and their team dismantled. They retained some of the key developers and company founders to integrate aspects of it's technology into the Masa product range. Although the product is still for sale, EKI One is no longer being developed or supported and hasn't been for some time.

The built-in AI navigation in Leadwerks 3 provide a lot of the value something like EKI-One would have done.

This I believe shows a complete lack of understanding of what the EKI One product is capable of and the exceptionally good tool sets it contains. I'm sorry to say that your blatant disregard for other software developers products and achievements never ceases to amaze me!

That's the point of a state machine system YouGroove. You get to define your own states to do what you want. State machine systems are just a framework for you to define the behaviors.

Absolutely, one of the most powerful mechanisms for aiding AI implementation. But like most mechanisms, once you start to build complexity you need to add tools to manage it effectively.

... Rick, I agree that a state machine implementation would be a substantial benefit to devs. Its probably the one AI technique that is so ubiquitous in games that there really isn't a good argument to omitting it from an AI suite. Perception is pretty tricky to manage in a game-agnostic way because the things and types of things that can be perceived will vary so much, but steering is also a great candidate since it's well understood and widely used.

I agree that state machines and steering are almost a prerequisite for AI suites these days given that you already have path finding. Interestingly, EKI One allowed you to define and configure your own perceptions, the only one hard coded into the product was sight. So perception was limited only by your imagination and ability to script them.

• Upvote 3

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++