Blender UV Unwrap query

MikeClarke

Howdy,

Well I wasn't sure whether to post it here or not but figured it would be the quickest access to help.

I'm trying to uv unwrap a cylinder. I can unwrap all of the sides using cylinder projection but its huge, when I scale it down it's outside of the unwrap area and I can't move it. Is there some key I need to press I have tried every a-z shortcut but I just can't seem to move it.

Secondly, if I try to add the end's of the cylinder (select them in 3d view) it removes everything else from the unwrap, is there a trick to this?

I've tried watching some video's specifically cgbloomer but his beginner unwrap was on a cube which is simpler to unwrap and doesn't have the multiple face located seperately on the unwrap issue. He also seems to just drag the selected element but that isn't working.

Any help appreciated :)

Operation Mosquito

Recruiting 3d Modeller/Animator. (pm if interested)

It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can do only a little. Do what you can. - Sydney Smith

Could you explain more ?

You can select all side faces with "Loop select"

Than press key "U" to unwrap and choose "Unwrap"

Than go to "Image" panel and adjust your UV.

I have some method in the case you want to project repetitively same tiling texture in all side faces :

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/6678-blender-racing-track-tutorial/page__hl__racing

Lot of examples on youtube.

I really don't see what is complicated ?

Stop toying and make games

The bigger of the two issues is the ability to move the unwrap. Once I scale it, it's no longer on the unwrap panel which is frustrating. I had a successful unwrap earlier but it overlapped one of the cylinder ends with the side and I couldn't move it.

Operation Mosquito

It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can do only a little. Do what you can. - Sydney Smith

Btw just watched over the video (had already found it on youtube) but it doesn't address the problem. That is using 2 materials. That's wasteful it should be achievable with 1. Which is where my problem kicks in I want the top/bottom on the same uv map.

Operation Mosquito

That's what i'm having issues with. but yes the bottom is the result i'm after. If i get all the sides nice and tidy I can't seem to add the bottom/top of the cylinder to it. The moment I try to select them, it removes sides.

Is there a specific key or something I need to press to keep things in the uv panel?

Operation Mosquito

Just uploading what I have now (im actually able to move things now it wasn't letting me earlier).

ZFdZ9bv.png

As you can see I now have managed to the top/bottom and move them to the side, but the cylinder sides are now longer uniformed as they where earlier. which will make for v.difficult texturing since I need to apply text over it :S

Operation Mosquito

Ok i see better.

Unwrap is good and i use it like that, even for text , it could work like that.

But ok, i suggest you to select the aligned UV yu want to scale "up" :

- Keep press down "ALT" key and select an UV or edge in UV view : it will select all aligned UV

- press key "S" to scale up/down the aligned UV : you can now just scale them up to fit other UV horizontla lines

unwrap3.jpg

Here is the best method, just for you case smile.png

Setp 1 :

MAke the "base cylinder" and just Unwrap it :

cylinder1.jpg

2) Make "Loop" cuts (Key K") and scale them as you wish

cylinder2.jpg

THAT'S IT smile.png

Nothing to do more.

If you select all side faces (CTRL + "L") you'll see that the UV mapping don't have changed .

cylinder3.jpg

To resume, do Unwrap in the base cylinder, than don't do it anymore on side faces for your case you want aligned and same scale UVs.

This stuff is a nightmare lol now i can't get the damn ends back lol

Ok what would really help, can you do step by step from where you are there to putting the top/bottom of the cylinder on the same map. That would help immensly as there must be a step im just not grasping as I had it, lost it and cant get it back :S

Operation Mosquito

Top :

1 ) Select top faces in 3D view (B key to start select tool, again B to change to rectangle select tool)

2) type "u" to unwrap

3) scale it , align it as you wish on UV panel view

3) select Bottom faces in 3D view

4) type "u" to unwrap

5) scale it , align it as you wish on UV panel view

6) select in 3D view all model faces "A" key

7) in UV view key pressed "ALT" key, and select Top cylinder Uv faces : Move it over Bottom cylinder at same center point UV.

8 ) scale up or down Top cylinder UV faces to match perfectly Bottom UV faces in UV view.

This is basic UV , works same ways could it be Blender or other modeler.

took a bit more tinkering but it worked. I ended up going via doing top/bottom first (together) scaling them into the bottom corner. Then doing all the sides using the cylinder unwrap. Scaled them to top corner then selecting the top/bottom at the same time to ensure it all matched. Thankyou very much for this - damn unwrap is a pain :P

8T8jH8P.png

No idea what those two lines are in the top right but i'll just figure out what section they are later & plain color them :P Thankyou again :)

Operation Mosquito

Unwrap is easy and fast with good methods, you complicated your life laugh.png

I had more 3D export/import modeler/engine problems than unwrap or 3D art.

Method i post with screens, is the easy one as you have uniform size, you can move horizontal lines as you want, same result as yours, with only one Unwrap.

I decided to keep playing with unwrapping (same model) took me a little practice but I now have a much cleaner unwrap.

DXktJt8.png

As you can see I still have the top/bottom circle's in the bottom corner, I had unwrapped the entire side's in 1 (despite it being 3 different materials) so decided to split it apart, the right hand side will be wood. The top will be a brushed metal, and the other rectangle which appears at the bottom will be a screw beveled metal.

I also wanted to show the actual model, i haven't made a texture yet so this is a render from earlier today. Tell me if you can recognize it :P

9l4.png

Operation Mosquito