Limit in Water

Fourx

In its current state, water is an infinite plane only. Elsewhere on the forums, I have heard of the possibility of resizeable water planes in the future. That could be a ways off though.

x_coldfire_x.png

AMD 64 X2 3800+ | 3G DDR2 667 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit | Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT 512MB DDR3

..it is possible to do resizable area now too..you need to tweak framewerk at part where water quad is created and thats all..i cant recall now exact line (dont have SDK on this laptop im using right now), but its literaly just 2-3 lines to change and you can add your own routine to load/create quad and set it on the way you want, including enabling/disabling underwater distortion if you end up lower than your pool position..(im using Bmax, so I cant confirm whats with other languages, but i assume its pretty much similar)..

C++ has Framework compiled in now so you wouldn't be able to make the modification. Same for C# and (I assume) LUA. Unless you still use the old Framewerk ofcourse, but I vaguely remember someone saying Framewerk will no longer receive updates (except for BlitzMax).

Presently, you can't. I think an opacity map for the water (or black/white only values, not half values) would do great to edit the plane, without creating many of them (again, what do I know. It's just on top of my head).

And Laurens, Framewerk might get updates, but these will be compiled and exposed again. You can do your own modifications in the CPP/BMX folders with the source code. There will be callbacks/delegates implemented too.

• Downvote 1

If it's like a swimming pool, you could probably make your own with a water shader applied to the top of the water "cube" to get waves (maybe something like the leaf waving shader). You would then have to code the underwater postprocessing effect but I'm guessing it's not that hard. Just check if the camera is inside the "cube" of water and if so give a underwater post processor effect that is like water to the screen.

If it's a puddle of water I would just create a plane and apply a water texture and maybe a shader that made the puddle move around like a puddle. With a puddle I wouldn't imagine you would need reflection really unless it's a huge puddle and you really want realism.

If you are able to get this working I'd be very interested in seeing how you did it because I could help create an object in lua for the Sandbox that we can just drag into our scenes and get this effect. If you use a plane created from LE we could make this very dynamic and Editor friendly.