LE3 : Need beginner tutorial make one game or tutorial demo on Leadwerks 3

witawat

Hello Josh

this good software, but small tutorial or document for beginner or start make new easy game..

i need beginner tutorial make start at new model, map, light, any more and to end game in demo on le3

u have it ?

i hope u have make document or tutorial a lot for learning ..

thankyou

Witawat

• Upvote 1

I'm currently planning out a multiple week "Let's build a FPS" tutorial.

It will be a series of tutorials wherein each week I will cover a new subject (movement, lighting, dealing with assets... etc) resulting in the final outcome of fully playable FPS.

More to come on this!

• Upvote 2

If it's not too late I would prefer it if wasn't a FPS because such a tutorial wouldn't be able to introduce any camera controlling concepts, particularly with the flowgraphs. But anything's fine, I"m just stating my preference.

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

The reason we chose this is because the fidelity of controls in an FPS maximizes the potential for interactions (as you can see in Andy's great videos). The flowgraph really has nothing to do with game cameras, and trying to use it for that would be a poor choice. It's for connecting actions, not making a visual scripting language.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

As long as it is able to treat abstract processes as connectable actions, it can become a visual scripting language in the right hands.

If I make an empty node with a bunch of inputs and outputs whose purpose is to compare conditions and transmit instructions between entities, I will have my visual scripting language!

First node I'm going to make is an IF - THEN nodes with a bunch of inputs and outputs on it whose purpose is to act as a switch board for transmitting information.

Then I will make a variation of that IF - THEN which transmits only the greatest of all connected inputs. Then another variatnt that only transiits the least. Then I'll have another node that converts all inputs into an average number. Then I will make a rounding up and rounding down node.

Once I do that you won't be able to say there is no visual scripting language in Leadwerks 3.

You would be amazed at the logic one can make with just those few nodes I listed above. That is, unless performance of Leadwerks 3 flowgraphs is the issue. If by saying, "it's for connecting actions, not making a visual scripting language" you are saying that it isn't optimized for heavy use, then you might be right and I might be wrong after all.

• Upvote 1

Flowgraphs should be translated as Lua scripts, but perhaps performance is lost somewhere else ?

For beginners, they will need to dig general tutorials on game making, and yes a new comer to 3D that didn't use scripts and 3D egine,s it can be hard for these sort of people.

I think some 3 rd person platforming game tutorial would be great before FPS ?

(Like Unity 3 rd tutorial covering aspects form level making and design, placing lights, managing the character and bad ennemies at last).

Stop toying and make games

He asked for extending the demo game to be fully functional as his prototype e.g. savegame, inventory, level change and such.

Imho other things do go past "gamedesign" but are about "game engine design" - in a game you create a camera class to do what its supposed to do ... even if you might give it the option to message a global object to disable terrain shadows IF the camera is in a cut scene - however, a camera class for a game engine might be able to deliver/carry any gameType it might be used for.

I strongly suggest to build on top of "darkness awaits" e.g. with a inventory / a savegame to display complex tasks within just one game source base - extending it to do other gameTypes might then be up to the user.

AMD 64 X2 Dual 5k - 4GB - XFX GForce9800GT - nv196.21 - WinXP Sp3

zBrush4R2 - Silo2Pro - Unwrap3DPro - Gile - MaPZone2.5

adv_banner-april2012_720x150_tex01.png

Xxploration FPS in progress ...

I love this idea and I second the motion. It would be great to have a series of tutorials or video-tutorials covering, in a basic way, each aspect of creating a game in Leadwerks 3. So far I can't get my levels to run as executables and I'd love to know what I'm missing ;)

Win8.1 Pro X64/ Intel core I7 @ 3.5GHz / 32GB DDR3 SDRAM / GeForce GTX 660+760/ VC++ Express 2013/ Blender /Unwrap3dpro3 /Modo 8

So far I can't get my levels to run as executables and I'd love to know what I'm missing

Well if you create a new project ,indeed it will run fine by default.

But to see something , make sure you created a camera (attach some free look to it) , a light and some box in the scene.

Pancakes, a visual script editor sounds nice, but in practice it is awful. You have two groups of people: Coders and non-coders.

• Coders understand code.
  • Non-coders don't understand code.

A visual scripting system sounds nice at first, but anyone who tries it will quickly realize it becomes very complicated very fast. So pretty soon you have a system nobody understands.

• Coders don't understand it.
  • Non-coders don't understand it.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I understand that creating an arbitrary visual scripting language might not pay off in terms of marketing and time you'd have to put into documentation. But for me to fashion one for myself that I don't have to explain to others or market and support is efficient. As long as the flowgraphs can handle high amount of use.

There are 3 types of game makers.

1: Non coders who somehow hope to make a game without coding.

2: People who know programming but not to an advanced level.( like me)

3: advanced people who need little help.

There are probably more caregories but broadly I think I amabout right.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

Programming language, i'm also not very convinced : it can be good to prototype indeed only.

But for a full complex game it can become not readable (or you'll have to got some boxing, unboxing or visual stuff groupiing and zooms)

What about scripts variables exposition feature ?

You have variable you make visible in the panel editor , this is already a big step forward.

There are some sort of templates.People will make more scripts, for any purpose like RPG stuff, FPS etc ...

A 3D artist will have only to attach the script , then visually tweak values, is not that awesome already.

But a 3D artist made a game with Playmaker(Unity plugin) :

I discussed with it, he didn't know programming and just followed visual tutorials

Why not asking Playmaker guys to port their tool to LE 3 store some day :) ?

Well i believe lot more in Lua script templates for non programmers :

- attach script

- adjust variables

and here you goo could it be 3rd person scripts, inventory scripts, FPS scripts ,door scripts etc ...

Well just ask yourself these questions: Could Super Mario Bros. be coded with visual scripting? Could Legend of Zelda? Could Metroid? Could Megaman? Could Final Fantasy VI? Could Angry Birds? I'd answer "yes" to all those questions. At what point do you start to say, "no"?

On second thought I don't even personally need a tutorial. If someone could just quickly jot down a "cheat sheet" that I could use to help me embark upon making my own nodes then I can get on that.

Well just ask yourself these questions: Could Super Mario Bros. be coded with visual scripting? Could Legend of Zelda? Could Metroid? Could Megaman? Could Final Fantasy VI? Could Angry Birds? I'd answer "yes" to all those questions. At what point do you start to say, "no"?

It depens on the complexity also.

Playmaker allow a good range of options from character controller, to ai and collisions etc ...

I think Lua script templates are the key for non programmers; scripts made by programmer people.