Editor workflow discussion

Josh

12 hours ago, Josh said:

There is a program called "Trenchbroom" that is popular in Quake modding now. It has some nice ideas for 3D CSG editing.

What ideas are you interested in? I still prefer the Hammer way of doing things but I know people will argue with me. Might be the best to adopt the best of two worlds.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

Refreshed my memory on it a bit.

Yeah leave the 2D brush creation system alone as it's perfect. Adopt Trenchbroom's brush creation within the 3D viewpoint as a lot of people (mostly artists) prefer one viewpoint for level editing.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

Yeah, so far I find TrenchBroom to e pretty confusing. It's a bit of a guessing game what will happen when you move the mouse. But there may be some good ideas in it.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Maybe it would be good to have regular "entity" mode editing, how Leadwerks and 3ds Max treat models, and then have a CSG mode you switch into for brush editing. In entity mode brushes would get treated like a model does, with the position / rotation / scale widget for control

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Got rid of the viewport toolbars, added a new tabber style, and made the menu and status bars span the entire window. This takes some space away from the side panel, but it makes it easier to recognize the program layout.

image.thumb.jpeg.48aee5dcb849e930e4466fbcc23a1891.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.674df9b539509bb78bd017e8707d6fc3.jpeg

• Like 3

You know, that makes most of the buttons on the left side redundant. Just have one for CSG edit and another one for models. 

CSG should be static and for level creation while making models is good for actors and components. This could save a collapsing step of the brush has an actor assigned to it. But when it comes to collision clips and triggers, I think the CSG tools are better suited.

• Like 1

Hopefully the scroll bar will be fixed in the next update. I have seen it look a little crushed with 100% scaling. I'm assuming you're running your app at 150% which is why things look bigger that how it would on my machine.

All looks good though!

On 3/30/2023 at 7:30 PM, reepblue said:

Hopefully the scroll bar will be fixed in the next update. I have seen it look a little crushed with 100% scaling. I'm assuming you're running your app at 150% which is why things look bigger that how it would on my machine.

All looks good though!

Yeah, I did a lot of work on the scroll bars today. The next update will have a lot of small GUI fixes. I also figured out how to get things to be really pixel-perfect at every scaling factor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is so cool. If you open an asset from a zip file, when you save the file it gets saved back into the Zip package just as if it was a folder. You can do all your development in your game's final ZIP files, if you wanted to, although there may be some issues with scaling as the content gets bigger.

image.thumb.jpeg.0fdff3f83cbc439e4d34235d0f0c2396.jpeg

• Like 1

Cool, but is it practical? I never had the need to edit my packages before.

Maybe it's different for modding. I recall the pain of extracting files from gcf/vpk files if I wanted my own version of a file. This could help with that maybe.

I was wondering if I should be doing this with my packaging program, but touching the package will still cause Steamworks to reupload the file.

The Quake people are telling me they use the 3D editing mode in TrenchBroom exclusively, and the 2D viewports are just an afterthought. These people are the most intense CSG mappers in the world so I think I need to listen to them.

18 minutes ago, Josh said:

The Quake people are telling me they use the 3D editing mode in TrenchBroom exclusively, and the 2D viewports are just an afterthought. These people are the most intense CSG mappers in the world so I think I need to listen to them.

Yeah, like I said, most people these days are happy with one viewport. Trenchbroom does 3D CSG editing the best out of everything so far. It would seem out of touch not to support this.

I still like my 4 viewports so please still support that. 🙂

• Upvote 2

Question about the paths for zip files:

Will the model still get integrated into the filesystem like it did before or do we have to name our packages based on the folder we want to search?

Good question.

It seemed ridiculous to me to see this in the asset browser tree:

• Models.zip
    • Models
      • box.gltf

I am guessing you are thinking about splitting files up among a lot of arbitrary Zip files for distribution, in which case the file name Models.zip could only be used once...

I've updated Editor.exe. The hot reloading works correctly now when you save a file externally.

Thumbnails and some menu items don't work, but other than that I think it is finished.

Definitely check out the Lua extensions in Scripts/Start, they are very powerful.

• Like 1

Also made a small improvement...when rendering the selection outline, the backfaces all get rendered, so the selection includes those:

image.thumb.jpeg.d12a054741e9639996a75f478c0e97f8.jpeg