What are you working on :

YouGroove

On 16/01/2018 at 12:43 AM, Christian Clavet said:

Hi, Core!
Seen that you use Blender.

Found a tutorial Youtube on how to make them.

Good work on your models they look really nice!

Thank you Christian, I will watch that video asap! And also thanks for your compliment, it really means a lot!

Edit. Watched the video now with time, very cool indeed. Currently I'm creating assets that use general materials, I don't bake anything model specific. It has it's pros and cons. Pros are that I can use one material in several models, places and I can change colors and materials on the fly, very nice and fast for prototyping at least. Cons are that I don't bake even normal maps, so for example round edges are actually round. Takes a lot of polygons, for example that device with all the switches and stuff uses about 3000 polygons. But with all the processing power we have nowdays available etc... :D  We well see how far I can go like this. I created big controlling console with lots of bells and whistles and although it is not ment to be used in many places in game, Im still a bit worried, it has 28000 polygons... 

I will start baking maps when I'm happy with models, see that they work in environment like intended and their material choices are ok.

Edited by Core

I've been using Blender on my laptop and just now moved a bunch of models to my more powerful pc where I use Leadwerks. Included was the model of Celeste-ship. It looked so epic and massive in my current test scene where I play around and test models, so I just had to do a "flyby". Adding sun and sky made it look cooler, but otherwise pretty much made everything else wonky so please don't mind. But decided to record a video. SEV Celeste flies first time ever!

• Like 4

I wrote a random dungeon generator.  It's pretty dumb.  Just starts from the middle and then keeps randomly picking an existing room and adding a room to it in a random direction.  What spices it up a bit is that before it starts, I lock some random areas near the middle so that rooms can't be generated there, forcing the generator to work around them.

Edit: I don't want to spam this thread so I'm adding some progress here.  I implemented moving from room to room based on the generated dungeon/doors.  Right now the doors are all open but in the game they would be closed until you accomplished something (usually killing all the enemies).  You can see that I generated 3 dungeons during the video (with the red room being the boss room for the dungeon).  Of course, in the game, the entire map won't be revealed to you like that from the start.  Also, all rooms are unhidden and the camera is zoomed out for easier debugging.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jen said:

I'm trying to populate the map with as much obstacle as possible.

This is currently the hardest part for me.  Not so much obstacle but just populating a map and making it look good but also varied, not just the same thing over and over.  I was watching an Assassin's Creed walkthrough video last night just for this reason - not for the gameplay but for how they populate a desert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nATM8cKhrX0

Fill it with dead grass, brush, and small rocks, along with chunks of concrete and rubble. I can picture something that looks like above-ground WW2 trenches. Adding cover will greatly enhance the gameplay.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

21 hours ago, jen said:

This is more than sufficient! Thank you Mr Burgelkat. @burgelkat

T7xw0xc.jpg

If I may be critical, let's talk about level design. I am a level design artist who learned to program. I'm not a great designer, but I understand the principles and have a knack for it.

Gameplay dictates the design of the map. As you no doubt have discovered, two people shooting each other in an open field isn't actually very fun at all. But currently your map can be described as having a complete lack of any interesting features.

Image1.jpg.27e469c62d6a9653f35567abe9097b2a.jpg

Now you are removing the textures to make the graphics match the complete lack of design decisions the map suffers from. This is not good.

Start with the gameplay. What kind of gameplay do you want? If you want fast-paced team deathmatch, then something like this would be more appropriate:

Image2.jpg.b188104f345361b484c11ecf2ba3a9f4.jpg

If you want one team to attack and one team to defend, then a linear battlefield with two defense points is best. After the attackers win the first objective, the defenders start spawning further back at the second objective.

Image3.jpg.f46ddfebd0b65cba1025b564954c5444.jpg

No games use a level like you have created because it is virtually impossible for the attacking team to even get close to the center town. This is why in real wars they dig trenches. In modern warfare, we would simply phone in the location of the target and a plane would drop a bomb on it.

This is a very good book that can help, especially the first part of it:
http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/store/preproductionblueprint.php

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Here's my take on it. Structure -> flow of players -> gameplay.

If you just have a two-story building surrounded by miles of sand the attacking team will never even get close to the defenders. Having high ground and cover are a massive advantage.

It also makes level design very hard because you have to surround the entire area with interesting features, whereas a more linear attack only needs a limited area to design, which gives you more control over the flow.

You can use buildings, barbed wire, rivers, overturned trucks, scraps of junk, burnt out cars, and concrete barricade to for the borders.

Image1.thumb.jpg.37e9a5b070fb556955dfce9930b40e98.jpg

1 minute ago, jen said:

Those look good. Very compact. I wouldn't count out the open maps though.

Are vehicles coming in at some point? I don't mind waiting really but it would be great to have them on open maps.

I am planning on it in 4.6 this summer. If the new vehicles aren't ready I am just going to make my own using springs and motorized hinges.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Josh said:

I am planning on it in 4.6 this summer. If the new vehicles aren't ready I am just going to make my own using springs and motorized hinges.

I hope they'll continue to be easy to use. If they mostly stay the way they are, then my only other hope is that they're easy to reset. Like if a vehicle falls out the game area, it can be put back on the track easily with neutral settings. Like vehicle->SetPosition() and vehicle->Reset() or something. Or an easy remove and recreate.

16 hours ago, gamecreator said:

I hope they'll continue to be easy to use. If they mostly stay the way they are, then my only other hope is that they're easy to reset. Like if a vehicle falls out the game area, it can be put back on the track easily with neutral settings. Like vehicle->SetPosition() and vehicle->Reset() or something. Or an easy remove and recreate.

Probably will be the exact same commands.

@jen I hope my feedback was useful to you. I love the project.

• 3 months later...

It's been a while since my last post here, lol. Have been way too busy lately. Anyhow...here's my latest work of art...it's the Christ The Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro. All done in 3DCoat. 

image.thumb.png.4f4de8f1c63a164616fa5d66e549a154.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

• Like 4

ZBrush 4R7 64-bit - 3DCoat 4.5 BETA 12 - Fl Studio 12 64Bit - LE 3.2 Indie version - Truespace 7 - Blender 2.71 - iClone 5.51 Pro - iClone 3DXChange 5.51 pipeline - Kontakt 5 - Bryce 7 - UU3D Pro - Substance Designer/Painter - Shadermap 3 - PaintShop Photo Pro X7 - Hexagon - Audacity - Gimp 2.8 - Vue 2015 - Reaktor 5 - Guitar Rig 5 - Bitmap2Material 3