Ultra does not work with AMD RX6800M, AMD RX6900 XT

Canardia

Go to solution Solved by Josh,

Besides the obvious driver update, it is also possible to enable Vulkan debugging by adding the validation layer in Ultra.json, but you don't need to do this unless you are just curious about it.

I think I know what my next GPU will be. :)

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I'm pretty sure Josh will find a clue why the previous generation high end AMD Radeon cards like RX6900 XT won't work with Ultra,
and I'm also sure he will make them work with Ultra performance.
I can't wait for Godot 4 fall out of the competence.
Then I can focus on a Newton vs Bullet challenge, like I did in Leadwerks.
My current testbed consists of 10000 physics cubes which perform quite well (700 FPS).

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I know you like Bullet, but there's also a Newton 4, which is quite a lot faster. I started implementing it but decided to stick with Newton 3 because I knew I could deliver reliable physics with it. 

There's also a hidden implementation of Box2D in the engine, but I don't think it is usable yet.

If you're interested I can abstract away the physics engine so the end user (you) can insert your own physics library and still use the same engine commands.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This might be related. I just set up a machine today for testing and I can confirm that when Ultra Engine on release will crash when creating the framebuffer. 

image.thumb.png.27e4b6c9d678ffb13ecab7d0324988b5.png

In debug mode, the project works fine but we have artificing. 

image.thumb.png.afa105657d49dd8db5fbfb2357d1d002.png

The Vulkan SDK isn't really helpful. No popups or anything (Ignore the material loading messages, this is an issue I've discovered with my git server. 🤪)

Loading plugin "Plugins/Basis.dll"
Loading plugin "Plugins/FITextureLoader.dll"
Loading plugin "Plugins/ISPCTexComp.dll"
Loading plugin "Plugins/KTX2TextureLoader.dll"
Warning: Failed to load controller bindings.
Target Display: 2560, 1080 at scale 1
Loading shader family "Shaders/PBR.fam"
Loading pixmap "UI/Splash/abstractblue.dds"
Loading pixmap "UI/Splash/logos.dds"
Loading font "Fonts/arial.ttf"
Loading icon "UI/Icons/ultraengine.svg"
Loading pixmap "UI/Loading Screens/loadingscreen_default.dds"
Loading pixmap "UI/Loading Screens/loadingicon_default.dds"
Running script "Scripts/System/ComponentSystem.lua"
Loading shader family "Shaders/Sky.fam"
Loading shader family "Shaders/unlit.fam"
Loading shader family "Shaders/WidgetBlock.fam"
Loading posteffect "Shaders/Refraction.fx"
Loading shader module "Shaders/BlurX.frag.spv"
Loading shader module "Shaders/BlurY.frag.spv"
UNASSIGNED-CreateInstance-status-message(INFO / SPEC): msgNum: -2016116905 - Validation Information: [ UNASSIGNED-CreateInstance-status-message ] Object 0: handle = 0x19ea012f5b0, type = VK_OBJECT_TYPE_INSTANCE; | MessageID = 0x87d47f57 | Khronos Validation Layer Active:
    Settings File: Found at C:\Users\reepb\AppData\Local\LunarG\vkconfig\override\vk_layer_settings.txt specified by VkConfig application override.
    Current Enables: None.
    Current Disables: None.

Objects: 1
        [0] 0x19ea012f5b0, type: 1, name: NULL
UNASSIGNED-cache-file-error(INFO / SPEC): msgNum: -256165483 - Validation Information: [ UNASSIGNED-cache-file-error ] | MessageID = 0xf0bb3995 | Cannot open shader validation cache at C:\Users\reepb\AppData\Local\Temp/shader_validation_cache.bin for reading (it may not exist yet)
    Objects: 0
Loading scene "Maps/box.ultra"
Loading material "D:/Projects/UltraGame/Materials/Developer/measuregrid.mat"
Error: Failed to load material "D:/Projects/UltraGame/Materials/Developer/measuregrid.mat".
Error: Failed to load material "D:/Projects/UltraGame/Materials/Developer/measuregrid.mat".
Loading material "D:/Projects/UltraGame/Materials/Developer/defaultmeshface.mat"
Error: Failed to load material "D:/Projects/UltraGame/Materials/Developer/defaultmeshface.mat".
Error: Failed to load material "D:/Projects/UltraGame/Materials/Developer/defaultmeshface.mat".
Loading material "D:/Projects/UltraGame/Materials/Developer/defaultmeshface.mat"
Debug: Scene successfully loaded.
Debug: Flushed controller.
Debug: Game Paused
Debug: Flushed controller.

Hope this helps.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

4 hours ago, Josh said:

I found a 6600 at Best Buy, and those are probably pretty close to the 6800 so I can get that and test it later this week.

What's important is you now in your hand have a AMD GPU! Hold on to it. Although players choose Nvidia 9 times out of 10 for Windows Gaming PCs, the tide might turn AMD for more affordable card for gaming. Plus, AMD GPUs are by far a popular choice for Linux users. Plus, the Steam Deck uses and AMD APU. 

• Like 1

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

This is very bad.

If I add a Print statement in the rendering thread the program works fine. If I replace the Print statement with Sleep(1000) then it crashes with no explanation.

The debug build runs fine with no validation errors.

• Sad 1