defendTHIS! rev 3

Alienhead

As some of you may know already, I've been working on a leadwerks tower defense game for about a year now. It has taken on many different forms but the game behind the imagining remains the same.  I'm glad to announce that revision 3 of defendTHIS is nearing playable status !  I've released info and other stuff regarding the game on my website.. but here's a look at the fresh new face-lift of defendTHIS!.   This is the style I plan on sticking with as the game gets closer and closer to completion. 

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on a top secret addition to my game, I didn't want to let it out of the bag until I was certain I would be able to make it work and fit in the game properly.   All that came to pass and I wrote this last few lines of code for this addition this morning.

On top of the other duties our Commander undertakes in the game, we now have to worry and contend with the house hold pet!  You know how pets like to grab kids toys and run off and chew them up!?  Well the Defendthis! dog does the same..   You'll need to keep him away from the playfield when possible, he can create quite some havoc if you let him romp freely.

I've given this dog some pretty accurate to real life Ai, he'll nap, wondering randomly around the room, stop and bark at toy soldiers on the move, chase the Commander when in range, scratch, eat, sleep and more..  I'll keep the cool features a secret until release time. :)

A new video coming later this week, once I smooth out a few rough corners regarding this addition.

ssDog.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

yes, 100% Lua. I'm running a steady 50fps on my older dev-test system ( gtx 750 card ).  I've made most all the effects and extras toggleable so it's actually quite possible to achieve 60 fps on older systems.  I got the code fully stable at this stage, I can run a map for hours with no crashes or mem leaks..  I often thought about changing it over to c++ as I do own the LE c++ version, but dev time is so much faster with LUA. 

I have entertained the idea of porting over but I'm in so deep now I feel it'll be easier to re-write if I went to a different engine with this game.

Fear of hitting a bottle neck is always lingering however.   Is Ultra feature locked yet? or is code still likely to get broke over the early access stage ?

So far I've had no reason to change the project over, LE has upheld everythign I've tossed at it so far. :)