LE = powerful particle system

Alienhead

I've really only recently started experimenting around with leadwerks particle system.  I must admit however, with only the exposed variables in the editor many great effects can be generated.   

In this screenshot I'm using 3 different particle emitters, 1 animated decal , 1 animated sprite sheet. all in all less than 100 particles for the entire effect.  Combined with some high fidelity electrical charging sounds this effect is amazing in action. I am so pleased with Leadwerks particle system, it's fast and very flexible. 

I really need to upload a video so you can see it in action, the still image does it no justice. :(

lightning.png

• Like 5

4 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Leadwerks is great and Ultra is even better.  Would love to see some videos of your project, how long have you been working on it?

I plan on moving to Ultra but it'll be after I finish this current game. I'm in to deep to worry about any porting at this point.   I started this project back in March, so about 7 months now. It's went through some major face lifts and design changes since the original base game I had laid out ( original )..  I really have 2 main projects I switch back and forth between to prevent staleness but this one is my love and the project I plan to see to completion.  I'll probably carry my zombie tower defense game over to Ultra when the time comes ( zombie TD ).   Thanks to Leadwerks modular design It's pretty easy to carry over scripted logic between projects. 

• Like 2

I'm going to do a video later this week..  I'm having a lot of fun making effects in LE. This one uses a 16x16 plane, vert positions saved to a tree,  2 random verts are selected per sequence... then as simple as connecting the dots to get a realistic electrical shock effect.   I'm considering using the animation models bone positions as a start point then randomly arc outwards to the plane pivots..  but for now this is more than I had hoped for. ;)  I'll leave it at that.

shocked.png

• Like 4

On 9/20/2022 at 9:05 PM, Alienhead said:

I plan on moving to Ultra but it'll be after I finish this current game. I'm in to deep to worry about any porting at this point.   I started this project back in March, so about 7 months now. It's went through some major face lifts and design changes since the original base game I had laid out ( original )..  I really have 2 main projects I switch back and forth between to prevent staleness but this one is my love and the project I plan to see to completion.  I'll probably carry my zombie tower defense game over to Ultra when the time comes ( zombie TD ).   Thanks to Leadwerks modular design It's pretty easy to carry over scripted logic between projects. 

When Ultra was in it's early days I ported my 8 month project over, it broke everything and although I've still got all the working library's there, it's going to take a lot of work to put it all back together again.  If Leadwerks handled the scope of my game I wouldn't have bothered about moving it over.  But Ultra's speed lured me in.  My advice is if Leadwerks handles your game fine leave it at that and start any new project in Ultra.  :)

I have about 10 projects I bounce between but I think I've settled on one now :P

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Another amazing post.  Would love to understand particles a bit more,  ever thought do doing some video tutorials for LE? Or record yourself as you make stuff so we can watch and learn? 

• Like 1

Dream since child of making games! From Game Programming Starter Kit 3.0, Blitz Basic, Map Creation since Duke 3D, Game Maker, Blitz3D (of recent..2023) and many other engines and years..... never really sticking to it with inner struggles that I've had to fight along with pushing to learn and acheive.

40 years old.. came across Leadwerks on Steam... Learning slowly but surely and loving it!

Learn with me or just watch me fail! at my random Youtube Channel, as I stream adhoc while learning and using LeadWerks and other game creating tools.

https://www.youtube.com/@wazmeister3151/featured

I actually had made a set of videos for various stuff, like ladder climbing, particles and some other stuff.  I'm in the process of changing domain's and domain names at the moment, but  in the next few weeks I'll slowly but surely have all the stuff I did for Leadwerks back online for the public.  

You'll be able to find it in a directory labeled Leadwerks 4.6 once it's back restored.  The website is quite  amess currently, I try and put a few hours in on it a day. 

You can go to my website, create an account and once the LE section is up it'll notify you.

https://www.alienhead.dev

• Like 2