Enttity classid

Alienhead

And I take it the buildings are loaded from models? It would be no problem if they were brushes, but otherwise I think it will be hard to prevent them from appearing on the player models. This is because they are rendered in a deferred step, and very little information can be stored about where each pixel came from.

I have no implemented decals in Ultra yet, but they will be part of the lighting system, and since it's a forward renderer it will be easier to handle things like making a decal appear on one specific entity.

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

That's one possible solution, but it requires an extra texture to be stored with the gbuffer, which would not get used very often. With the forward renderer, we could assign layers, maybe using the existing render layers system, or we could explicitly assign entities the decal will appear on.

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Well, actually the entity type does get stored in the gbuffer as a flag:

int materialflags=1;
	if (ex_selectionstate>0.0) materialflags += 2;
	if (c==1) materialflags += 4;//brush
	if (decalmode==2) materialflags += 8;//model
	if (decalmode==4) materialflags += 16;//terrain

So it would actually be possible to copy this shader and modify it to either remove decals or trick the renderer into thinking the entity is a different class.