Hierarchy change breaks children (and sometimes the editor)

I've encountered this bug many times now, so should really make a report already haha.

I had to fix a small mistake in a model today, so I changed it in Blender, exported to FBX and LW automatically updated the .mdl file.
Noticed that if you have the editor open that any changes in hierarchy (due to the updating of the model file) makes all the children of that model/entity go into nowhere-land. Almost as if it applies the global position values of the children to the local position.
But it gets stranger: everything looks normal and the positions of the children are normal too. However if I either restart the editor or re-open the map the children are all in that "global" position (see the screenshots).
I've had to re-position the children a few times now due to this, after noticing that a model wouldn't render (I guess because the AABB check is all wonky now?).

I also noticed that whilst I could move a Pivot child, the icon did not move. A restart fixed that.

leadwerks_hierarchybug.png

leadwerks_editorbug.png

I've also experienced the pivot icon thing, I just work around it by doing the bare minimum until I know my model and animations are perfect. Not a very likeable workaround, but it works lol.

i now hate love C++

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeep~~This is a test of the emergency signature system~~Beeeeeeeeeeeeeep

RX 6800XT | i5-13600KF | 32GB DDR5 | 1440p is perfect

It's not really a bug. If you modify the hierarchy of the model, all the old orientations of the limbs are no longer valid. What else can the editor do?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I have a couple ideas:

• Only record the limb orientations in files when the user has manually changed the orientation in the editor.
  • If the number of limbs changes in the model file, reset them all to their origin, like @reepblue suggests.
  • Maybe also compare the origin in the model, and a stored value in the scene, and if they don't match, with some small tolerance, reset everything.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

On 7/6/2022 at 4:56 PM, Josh said:

It's not really a bug. If you modify the hierarchy of the model, all the old orientations of the limbs are no longer valid. What else can the editor do?

Here's the catch: the hierarchy's unchanged.

I should explain a little bit better actually:
I always collapse the models. When updating the model file I have to collapse it again. I noticed the bug happens too in this scenario even though the hierarchy ends up being the same.