Game (FPS sample too) doesn't start on more than 200% scaling.

We've gotten a bunch of bug reports that our game doesn't start when the Scaling setting in Windows is set to more than 200%.
Tested this with the LeadWerks 'FPS sample' project too and get the same issue. Works fine up too 200% (though the resolution is capped down) but higher than that it will not start.

Any currently known solution for this?

Here's the log of the FPS Sample:

Initializing Lua...
Warning: Lua sandboxing disabled.
Executing file "D:/Downloads/Telegram Desktop/FPS_sample/FPS_sample/Scripts/Error.lua"
Executing file "D:/Downloads/Telegram Desktop/FPS_sample/FPS_sample/Scripts/Main.lua"
Executing file "D:/Downloads/Telegram Desktop/FPS_sample/FPS_sample/Scripts/Menu.lua"
Initializing OpenGL graphics driver...
OpenGL version 460
GLSL version 460
Device: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070/PCIe/SSE2
Error: Window is NULL

Seems window creation fails?

18 hours ago, Josh said:

More than 200% would be greater than 4K resolution? Is that even supported on Windows?

It seems that some people prefer an high scaling when using 4k monitors. One of our testers often has their scaling set to 225% and I've seen a few other people use similar scaling settings with 4K. I myself was able to replicate the issue in a virtual machine, I had to since my GPU and monitor are both maxed at 1080p but VMware does not care much for the host resolution limits :P

It's probably that ChangeDisplaySettings is failing. What you could do is call CreateWindow() with fullscreen enabled, and then if this returns NULL create a window that is not fullscreen instead.

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

This is what my code does:

window = Window:Create(title,0,0,gfxmode.x,gfxmode.y,windowstyle)
if window == nil then
	gfxmode = System:GetGraphicsMode(System:CountGraphicsModes()-1)
end

It tries first to create a window with the current resolution, then with the max resolution. So I think we need to know what your code is doing. Is it creating a window with a listed graphics mode, but this is failing? If that were happening it would be a Windows bug.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

34 minutes ago, Josh said:

This is what my code does:

if window == nil then
	gfxmode = System:GetGraphicsMode(System:CountGraphicsModes()-1)
end

It tries first to create a window with the current resolution, then with the max resolution. So I think we need to know what your code is doing. Is it creating a window with a listed graphics mode, but this is failing? If that were happening it would be a Windows bug.

My code is exactly the same, albeit C++. (The gfxmode is first fetched from the System::GetProperty values (or a default setting if there are none saved) and used for that first attempt at window creation.)
And again: the FPS Sample that comes with LeadWerks has the same issue, so you can test it with that if necessary.

I've had one of our testers try some things out and:
Windowed mode does seem to work fine with scaling at more than 200%. So yes the issue is with the fullscreen mode.

I wonder if it'll happen with a Borderless Window. You can easily create one by just setting the window type to Window::Center.

I have a report about my UI being weird in fullscreen and I suggested this as a work around.  

• Like 1

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!